Smile benefit of hind sight

What does " to give/have the benefit of hind sight" mean?

Re: benefit of hind sight

"hindsight" is the understanding of a situation or event after it has happened.

To have the benefit of hindsight [nb spelling] means that you can make use of your knowledge about something.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "hindsight" is the understanding of a situation or event after it has happened.

To have the benefit of hindsight [nb spelling] means that you can make use of your knowledge about something that has already happened
    I'm sure Anglika meant those last few words (implied by her first sentence, but worth re-emphasizing, I think). Hindsight is the opposite of foresight.

b

Not that it's my business or related to the topic, but I have to say I don't believe "hindsight" and "foresight" have any logical relationship, though it would seem they do.

"Foresight" is one's ability to imagine possible events and plan for them. Making "hindsight" your ability to imagine and plan for past events?

"Hindsight" seems more like one's ability to look at a situation in a clearer and more objective light after it has happened.

"He had the foresight to sell his stock before the imminent crisis."
    "He had the hindsight to...?"

"Things seem clearer in hindsight."
    "Things are always unclear in foresight?"

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I'm sure Anglika meant those last few words (implied by her first sentence, but worth re-emphasizing, I think). Hindsight is the opposite of foresight.

b
    Thanks, Bob - it does make it clearer

Quote Originally Posted by weiming View Post
    Not that it's my business or related to the topic, but I have to say I don't believe "hindsight" and "foresight" have any logical relationship, though it would seem they do.

"Foresight" is one's ability to imagine possible events and plan for them. Making "hindsight" your ability to imagine and plan for past events?

"Hindsight" seems more like one's ability to look at a situation in a clearer and more objective light after it has happened.

An interesting view - but nevertheless the antonym of foresight is hindsight >> foresight - Synonyms from Thesaurus.com

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by weiming View Post

My throwaway remark was a bit too clear (about the words being opposites - obviously they're not). I was thinking not that there was a logical relationship (as there is not between grammar and glamour) but that there is an etymological relationship (as there is between grammar and glamour - Online Etymology Dictionary) . Generally, I find etymology more interesting than logic , and the dates at least support the possibility of an etymological relationship ('foresight' predates 'hindsight' by about 500 years).

b

Question Re: benefit of hind sight

Can we, in other words, say : "to have the advantage of the past experience"?

More: to have clearer knowledge or understanding of events after they have occurred.