• Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

tact?

Dear experts,

What does 'tact' mean in the sentence:

'Tact, he thought. He might be a redneck.'

Thanks in advance,

Maggy "MaggyG" Garetta Pinkgreat a.k.a Russian Bilingual Residental Polyglot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: tact?

A "redneck" is a word to describe someone from the American South who is somewhat uncouth, unclean, and unsophisticated. The stereotype of a redneck is someone who lives in a trailer, has an old hound dog asleep underneath the porch and drives a pick-up truck with a Confederate flag in the rear window. (No offense meant to our Southern members here, by the way.)

An untactful comment to a redneck would be something like, "Have you brushed your tooth lately?" or "I hear there's a new law in your state - if a couple gets divorced, they can still legally be considered brother and sister." If you're a Yankee, it's best to be polite and tactful when speaking to a redneck; most of them carry shotguns.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: tact?

As a Southerner, I must take umbrage at the stereotypes directed at people from my part of the country. In movies and television, Southerners are usually portrayed as slow-witted and mean-spirited people with bad manners and bad teeth. This is patently untrue (except the part about the teeth).

In the South, we consider someone a redneck if he is white, poor, uneducated, and most of all, a racist (The redneck creed: "If you ain't better than a ni**er, then who are you better than?").

I have traveled extensively around this country, and have encountered rednecks in every region.

redneck - Definitions from Dictionary.com