Question what does "keeping my end of the bargain"mean?

I can't understand the meaning of this sentence:As far as I was concerned, I was keeping my end of the bargain.
    Here is the context:
    Men were providers. They went out and earned a decent living for their families. Iíd learned that early on from my father, whoíd worked two jobs to support a wife and five children. Life hadnít been easy for Dad, but he was a survivor: tough, resilient. He taught me to be the same way. Of course my brothers and sister and I always knew Dad loved us, although he never came out and said it. Hugs and kisses and I love youís were Momís job.
    I got married and became a father myself, and held down a good job as a bookkeeper. As far as I was concerned, I was keeping my end of the bargain. Yet despite my being a good provider, my marriage failed. The next time around was no different: My second marriage ended in divorce too. Life wasnít always easy, I figured. A man had to be strong, and learn to stand on his own two feet. In time I felt a sense of pride that I could make it by myself. I didnít really need anybody.

Re: what does "keeping my end of the bargain"mean?

It means, he though he was a good provider; he believed that was all he needed to do to have a successful marriage.

The bargain: the husband earns money for the family, the wife takes care of the husband and the children.

Thank u, Casiopea.I understand the meaning of the sentence now, but I'm still not clear about the verb phrase "keep my end of". What does "keep one's end of" mean? I can't find its usage in the dictionary, could you give me more example to explain it ? Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

"keep one's end of (the bargain)" means to "keep one's (part of)(side of)" the bargain. It means to do what you agreed to do.

Thank you!I see!