• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question but then again

Consider the phrase "but then again", carrying the meaning "but when you think about the matter more or in another way" (from CALD), like in a sentence:
    "I agree she types accurately, but then again, she's very slow" (also from CALD). May it be used in formal writing or rather should be avoided (and "on the other hand" should be used instead)?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: but then again

I had an English professor who would publicly humiliate a student for saying "on the other hand" if he didn't say "on the one hand" in a previous phrase. I don't agree with him, but why take chances?

If you can use a simpler phrase or word like "however" instead of "but then again," I might prefer that, but I don't see anything wrong with the sentence you have written about the typing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    I had an English professor who would publicly humiliate a student for saying "on the other hand" if he didn't say "on the one hand" in a previous phrase. I don't agree with him, but why take chances?

If you can use a simpler phrase or word like "however" instead of "but then again," I might prefer that, but I don't see anything wrong with the sentence you have written about the typing.
    Is there any difference between the sentences with however and but then again, for example in emphasis?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Consider the phrase "but then again", carrying the meaning "but when you think about the matter more or in another way" (from CALD), like in a sentence:
    "I agree she types accurately, but then again, she's very slow" (also from CALD). May it be used in formal writing or rather should be avoided (and "on the other hand" should be used instead)?

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    I agree that on the other hand is a better choice than but then again

or

"I agree she types accurately, but, from another standpoint / from another point of view, she's very slow."