artifact

What artifact is most important to creating suspense in the story? Here, what does "artifact" mean?

thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: artifact

Quote Originally Posted by MIA6 View Post
    What artifact is most important to creating suspense in the story? Here, what does "artifact" mean?

thanks.
    Longman Dict. :
    an object such as a tool, weapon etc that was made in the past and is historically important
    ancient Egyptian artefacts

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I agree that a tool or weapon (or anything made by artificial means, a belt-buckle, say) is the normal meaning. In this context it seems to mean 'device or object [and by the way I'm clever enough to know big words like art|i|e|fact]'.

b

[CAUTION: I am not a teacher:take the advice and or corrections offered in this post at your own risk.
    If you doubt the information, please get a qualified opinion from one of the teachers on these forums.]

I missed this important distinction earlier, the use to which you are referring -MIA6-, was probably the second, less common definition:

2. Something viewed as a product of human conception or agency rather than an inherent element: "The very act of looking at a naked model was an artifact of male supremacy" Philip Weiss.

Here it is used (it seems) in an artistic sense.
    Last edited by weiming; 05-Sep-2007 at 14:15. Reason: copied a bit more than I bargained for

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I'd interpret it here as a literary device.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by MIA6 View Post

thanks.

Blurring the lines between the natural and supernatural, or the suspension of disbelief, is a powerful literary device/artifact (such as in Poe, Hitchhock...). Why? because Reason alone always falls flat in suspense stories. Nobody is safe from the monsters that come about when the real blends into the surreal. The threat to the characters is much more difficult to escape than monsters under the bed.
    Last edited by bianca; 06-Sep-2007 at 03:42.