has, had & has had

Respected Teacher; I wanna know the difference between has & had.... when to use which one...?? And some times we use both in combination like 'He has had', what is that condition... please help me I will be thankfull... Alex.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Wink Re: has, had & has had

Quote Originally Posted by alex.zeal View Post
    Respected Teacher; I wanna know the difference between has & had.... when to use which one...?? And some times we use both in combination like 'He has had', what is that condition... please help me I will be thankfull... Alex.
    Dear Alex, it's all about the tense you use to refer to something that happens.

In English, there are two different verbs of 'have' - one is a lexical verb (= possess, own), and the other is an auxiliary (helping) verb. But their personal forms are alike, i.e. I / you / we / they have; he / she / it has.

Now let me draw your attention to the following sentences:

Martin has a blue motorbike.
    In the above sentence, we have the lexical verb have, in its appropriate form, has (Martin has = he has).

Martin had a red motorbike last year.
    This time we have the form had (of the lexical verb have), which is the same for all persons, singular and plural; the sentence refers to the past. We used the past simple form of the verb have.

Martin has had his blue motorbike for a year now.
    And finally, we get the sequence of the two different verbs, i.e. has + had. The first form, has, is an auxiliary verb; the other one, had, is a lexical verb again. The tense we used is called the Present Perfect Simple tense, which is normally used to connect something from the past with the present. To form that tense, we need to use an auxiliary verb (has or have) and the past participle form of the verb (in our case, had, which is the same for all persons).

That is how I see the matter of 'has / have ; has / have + had'.