• Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

show one`s hand

Hi Teachers!

I have tried to find out some other English verbal expression/s for to say something openly. All I found was to show one`s hand, but I am not sure if this is correct. Are these expressions similar?

Are there any other verbal expressions which can replace to say something openly?

Thank you very much in advance.

Re: show one`s hand

What sort of context do you want to use it in?

There's a saying: Tell the truth and shame the Devil.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

To speak openly as you describe, it would be more appropriate to say "lay one's cards on the table."
    Example:
    "Let me lay my cards on the table and tell you that I was raised in Detroit and have a certain prejudice against foreign-made cars. Now explain to me exactly why you think we should buy a Toyota."

Depending upon the context, you can say:
    No holds barred.
    ("I'm thinking about quitting my job. I want you to give me your honest opinion, no holds barred.")
    Straight up.
    ("Tell me the truth, straight up - does this dress make me look fat?")

Sometimes when it's two men talking and they want to be open and honest, they'll use the phrase "man to man":
    "Can I ask you something, man to man? Do you think it's wrong that I find the neighbor's daughter attractive?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    What sort of context do you want to use it in?

There's a saying: Tell the truth and shame the Devil.
    Both formal and informal contexts. Could you give me an appropriate example for show one`s hand?

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Teia; 02-Sep-2007 at 07:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    To speak openly as you describe, it would be more appropriate to say "lay one's cards on the table."
    Example:
    "Let me lay my cards on the table and tell you that I was raised in Detroit and have a certain prejudice against foreign-made cars. Now explain to me exactly why you think we should buy a Toyota."

Depending upon the context, you can say:
    No holds barred.
    ("I'm thinking about quitting my job. I want you to give me your honest opinion, no holds barred.")
    Straight up.
    ("Tell me the truth, straight up - does this dress make me look fat?")

Sometimes when it's two men talking and they want to be open and honest, they'll use the phrase "man to man":
    "Can I ask you something, man to man? Do you think it's wrong that I find the neighbor's daughter attractive?"
    - if the discussion is between two women, how shall I say? Woman to woman?

Thank you very much. There`s a similar meaning in Romanian for lay one`s cards on the table and for the other expressions, as well.
    Thank you again.
    Last edited by Teia; 02-Sep-2007 at 07:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

'Show one's hand' and 'lay one's cards on the table' are related (it's a hand of cards). But laying one's cards on the table is intentional, and 'Show one's hand' may not be.

'As soon as we turn off the main road, they'll guess where we're going. So we must stick to the road until it gets as close as possible, and only then show our hand.'

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    - if the discussion is between two women, how shall I say? Woman to woman?
    In American culture, at least, it's traditional that when men talk with one another, it's about superficial topics:

"How bad was the traffic on your way over here?"
    "I see you finally got a new car, how do you like it?"
    "Look at your lawn, it looks like a golf course! Mine is dry and brown. What type of fertilizer are you using?"

If they want to discuss a serious or personal topic and want an honest opinoin, that's when they'll preface it by saying, "Let me ask you something, man to man."

Women, on the other hand, are more adept at discussing feelings and emotions and don't require any sort of introductory phrase. We can tell by the speaker's tone of voice and body language that she's serious and wants our honest opinion. She'll lean forward a bit and pitch her voice a bit lower and ask, "My husband has been coming home late for the last week. He says he's working overtime, what do you think?" Also, for some reason, women just instinctively seem to know the proper answers to such questions as "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" (Women somehow know how to be honest but tactful; if the jeans make her look like a hippopotamus on steriods, we'd say something like, "I think they'd look better if you didn't tuck your shirt in.") Without any sort of prefacing remark, we know that she wants our honest opinion.

I hope this made some sort of sense. If it doesn't, you can just accuse me of being hormonal....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    In American culture, at least, it's traditional that when men talk with one another, it's about superficial topics:

"How bad was the traffic on your way over here?"
    "I see you finally got a new car, how do you like it?"
    "Look at your lawn, it looks like a golf course! Mine is dry and brown. What type of fertilizer are you using?"

If they want to discuss a serious or personal topic and want an honest opinoin, that's when they'll preface it by saying, "Let me ask you something, man to man."

Women, on the other hand, are more adept at discussing feelings and emotions and don't require any sort of introductory phrase. We can tell by the speaker's tone of voice and body language that she's serious and wants our honest opinion. She'll lean forward a bit and pitch her voice a bit lower and ask, "My husband has been coming home late for the last week. He says he's working overtime, what do you think?" Also, for some reason, women just instinctively seem to know the proper answers to such questions as "Do these jeans make my butt look big?" (Women somehow know how to be honest but tactful; if the jeans make her look like a hippopotamus on steriods, we'd say something like, "I think they'd look better if you didn't tuck your shirt in.") Without any sort of prefacing remark, we know that she wants our honest opinion.

I hope this made some sort of sense. If it doesn't, you can just accuse me of being hormonal....
    I appreciate your help. This is more than I have expected.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    'Show one's hand' and 'lay one's cards on the table' are related (it's a hand of cards). But laying one's cards on the table is intentional, and 'Show one's hand' may not be.

'As soon as we turn off the main road, they'll guess where we're going. So we must stick to the road until it gets as close as possible, and only then show our hand.'

b
    Thank you BobK.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Angry Re: show one`s hand

To "show one's hand" means to accidentally reveal something you were concealing in order to give yourself an advantage. In most card games, it is important that your opponent doesn't know what cards you're holding.

If you are negotiating the price of a car, for instance, and you tell the dealer, "I can afford that," then you've shown your hand and let the dealer know that he doesn't need to lower the price in order to make the sale.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but someone who openly discusses his feelings and emotions is said to be "wearing his heart on his sleeve."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast