Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Present-Perfect-and-Past-Simple and some other confusions.

Dear Teachers,
    Please have a look at the following text and make sure the words sound professional and sentence structure, flow, punctuation, mood, and
    tense are presented in a manner that makes sense, while looking out for
    inconsistencies.

P.S. I have put some parentheses where I myself some doubts and perplexities.
    So many thanks in advance.
    Best regards,
    Asad

Respected Math Teacher,
    Simon has been given a grade of 9 out of a possible 10 on the test he took on Monday (Is it correct to use the Present Perfect and the Simple past together? I intend the exact same by the way.), though all the solutions are correct. I would like you to know that the laws of Mathematics state that a solution can not be wrong, if it comprehensible and what it is coming to is correct. A problem can be resolved using a variety of methods. However, I have told him to follow your method, but kindly allow him to go another way where he gets stuck with yours. I would also like you to review his test to see if you can give him the highest grade, since I think he will falter this way.
    Thank you

Re: Present-Perfect-and-Past-Simple and some other confusions.

[CAUTION: I am not a teacher:take the advice and or corrections offered in this post at your own risk.
    If you doubt the information, please get a qualified opinion from one of the teachers on these forums.]

Mr. Hussain,

You have addressed your question specifically to teachers, and not to me, as I am not one. However, I'm sure I can give you an answer free off errors and you could wait for a teacher to simply evaluate my answer as correct or not, as none have yet had the time to respond.

Respected Math Teacher[unless local custom forbids it or implies otherwise, I think it would actually be more polite to use the teacher's surname after Mr./Mrs./Miss or any other professional title],
    [consider a space here]
    Simon has been given a grade of 9 out of a possible 10 on the test he took [this seems fine to me] on Monday, though all the solutions are correct. I would like you to know that the laws of Mathematics state that a solution can not[cannot] be wrong, if it [is] comprehensible and what it is coming to[the conclusion/solution] is correct. A problem can be resolved using a variety of methods. However[Even so], I have told him to follow your method,[.] but [At the same time I hope you would] kindly allow him to go another way[use another method] where he gets stuck with yours. I would also like you to review his test to see if you can give him the highest grade[full marks/a 10 out of 10], since I think he will falter [in his studies] this way[otherwise].
    [add a space, if you add a comma and your name below]
    Thank you[add a period, or a comma and your name on a following line]

If you choose to accept the corecctions, red writing is to be removed and replaced with red writing in brackets, in the case that there is a virgule ( / ) between two words, just choose one.

Blue writing is to be considered for change, I can't argue that you have made a grammatical mistake, but would strongly suggest changing the writing on basis of style. You can either follow the advice written or replace the words as shown if you choose to.

Finally, if you do choose to make the changes, please post again the altered document so I can look at it again.
    Last edited by weiming; 04-Sep-2007 at 12:30.

Dear Weiming,

Thanks a lot for such a commendable deal of help. Could you please change the red writing to green (, as my monitor can't detect red)?

Done.

If you were unable to read the disclaimer at the very top of my reply, please do so now, and take it under advisement. I am not a teacher.

Dear Wieming,

Yes, I have read that.

Well, so many thanks for all the help. It's real nice of you. I will never forget this very kind deed of your till the end of my life.

Here is the altered version;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Respected Math Teacher, (I don't know her name.)

Simon has been given a grade of 9 out of a possible 10 on the test he took on Monday, though all the solutions are correct. I would like you to know that the laws of Mathematics state that a solution cannot be wrong, if is comprehensible and the conclusion is correct. A problem can be resolved using a variety of methods. Even so, I have told him follow your method. At the same time I hope you would kindly allow him to use another method where he gets stuck with yours. I would also like you to review his test to see if you can give him a10 out of 10, since I think he will falter in his studies otherwise.

Thank you,

Regards,
    Asad Hussain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Weiming, could you please look at it now?

[CAUTION: I am not a teacher:take the advice and or corrections offered in this post at your own risk.
    If you doubt the information, please get a qualified opinion from one of the teachers on these forums.]

Respected Math Teacher,

Simon has been given a grade of 9 out of a possible 10 on the test he took on Monday, though all the solutions are correct. I would like you to know that the laws of Mathematics state that a solution cannot be wrong, if is comprehensible and the conclusion is correct. A problem can be resolved [solved](resolved seems to imply a disagreement) using a variety of methods. Even so, I have told him follow your method. At the same time I hope you would kindly allow him to use another method where he gets stuck with yours. I would also like you to review his test to see if you can give him a10 out of 10, since I think he will falter in his studies otherwise.

Thank you,

Regards,
    Asad Hussain

Even if you do not know the teachers name, it still makes me a little uncomfortable to hear her referred to as "math teacher", in this case a simple "Dear Madam" might be better. Keep in mind this may be different in your region. I've also changed one word and noted why, other than that, this looks like one good letter!

Also, such effusive gratitude is certainly unnecessary. I can't even guarantee 100% there isn't some small or technical mistake I've overlooked. Correcting your material is good exercise for me as well so, thank you.

Dear Weiming,
    It's sooooo good of you not to take the gratitute, but you will have to take it. What you have done for me is worth a lot of thanks and good wishes.

Best wishes,
    Asad

By the way, I welcome and appriciate other comments too.

Could someone else too please put some comments?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast