Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #1

    Lightbulb What is the meaning? ("high sounding")

    Hello Everyone,

    What is the meaning of the following underlined sentences?

    "The people of Idaho deserve a senator who can devote 100 percent of his time and effort to the critical issues of our state and of our nation," Craig said. "I have little control over what people choose to believe. But clearly my name is important to me, and my family is so very important also."

    What is the meaning of Western Lands in the following paragraph?

    Craig opposes gay marriage and has a strong record against gay rights. He was a leading voice in the Senate on gun issues and Western lands. Craig chaired the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and was a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, where he was adept at securing federal money for Idaho projects.

    Regards

    Sky

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #2

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    What is the meaning of the following underlined sentences?

    "The people of Idaho deserve a senator who can devote 100 percent of his time and effort to the critical issues of our state and of our nation," Craig said. "I have little control over what people choose to believe. But clearly my name is important to me, and my family is so very important also."
    Those high-sounding words were a way of explaining why he was going to resign. The issue that had gotten so much attention (and gotten him into so much trouble) was clearly distracting him from things he would have rather focused on.

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    What is the meaning of Western Lands in the following paragraph?

    Craig opposes gay marriage and has a strong record against gay rights. He was a leading voice in the Senate on gun issues and Western lands. Craig chaired the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee and was a senior member of the Appropriations Committee, where he was adept at securing federal money for Idaho projects.
    The federal government owns a lot of the land in the West. It probably has something to do with that.

    ~R

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #3

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Those high-sounding words were a way of explaining why he was going to resign. The issue that had gotten so much attention (and gotten him into so much trouble) was clearly distracting him from things he would have rather focused on.


    The federal government owns a lot of the land in the West. It probably has something to do with that.

    ~R
    Thanks for your reply! I have another two questions here! What does "deserve" mean here? Does it mean "need" or "require"?

    What do you mean by saying "high sounding"?


  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #4

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I have another two questions here! What does "deserve" mean here? Does it mean "need" or "require"?

    What do you mean by saying "high sounding"?

    Those matters require his attention or "demand" that he pay attention to them. In other words, it is very important that he pay attention to those matters.

    Words that are "high-sounding" are words that appear to be very meaningful. But, of course, something can appear to be one thing and in fact be something else altogether.

    ~R

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #5

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Those matters require his attention or "demand" that he pay attention to them. In other words, it is very important that he pay attention to those matters.

    Words that are "high-sounding" are words that appear to be very meaningful. But, of course, something can appear to be one thing and in fact be something else altogether.

    ~R
    Dear Ronbee,

    Thanks for your time and efforts!

    Can you give me another example to define the meaning of high-sounding?
    I am still a bit confused about your definition!

    Regards

    Sky

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #6

    Re: What is the meaning?

    We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them. Abigail Adams (letter to John Adams, 1774)
    wife of John Adams 1764 (1744 - 1818) In other words, what we say is one thing. What we do is something else.

    Does that help?

    ~R

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #7

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Those high-sounding words were a way of explaining why he was going to resign. The issue that had gotten so much attention (and gotten him into so much trouble) was clearly distracting him from things he would have rather focused on.


    The federal government owns a lot of the land in the West. It probably has something to do with that.

    ~R
    I presume "deserve" here is synonymous to "call for " or "demand". Am I right?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #8

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Those matters require his attention or "demand" that he pay attention to them. In other words, it is very important that he pay attention to those matters.

    Words that are "high-sounding" are words that appear to be very meaningful. But, of course, something can appear to be one thing and in fact be something else altogether.

    ~R
    Can you give me one or two common example of high-sounding here?
    Thanks

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #9

    Re: What is the meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Can you give me one or two common examples of high-sounding here?
    Thanks
    That's a tall order. I can think of nothing off the top of my head, but maybe another poster will come up with something.


Similar Threads

  1. the meaning of "your call"
    By filmfan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2008, 13:51
  2. meaning
    By daisy1352 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2006, 22:32
  3. high profile customers??
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2006, 03:28
  4. tense and meaning
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-Jan-2005, 17:28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •