Illuminated scrolls

I'm having problems understanding the meaning of illuminated scrolls, especially in a contexts such as the one below:

ONE afternoon toward the end of August a group of girls sat in a room at
    Miss Hatchard's in a gay confusion of flags, turkey-red, blue and white
    paper muslin, harvest sheaves and illuminated scrolls.

North Dormer was preparing for its Old Home Week.

If the word scroll means what I think it means, i.e. "a roll of parchment, paper, copper, or other material, esp. one with writing on it", and the word illuminated means "to decorate (a manuscript, book, etc.) with colors and gold or silver", I just don't understand how and why someone would use them to decorate something, in this case a town hall in the 1920s, at all. Or are we talking about some other kind of illuminated scrolls?

Comments, please!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Illuminated scrolls

It's a written scroll that has illustrations: http://www.zuggsoft.com/sca/Scroll13b.jpg

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Caorthine View Post
    I'm having problems understanding the meaning of illuminated scrolls, especially in a contexts such as the one below:

ONE afternoon toward the end of August a group of girls sat in a room at
    Miss Hatchard's in a gay confusion of flags, turkey-red, blue and white
    paper muslin, harvest sheaves and illuminated scrolls.

North Dormer was preparing for its Old Home Week.

Tdol has confirmed your interpretation, but I think it will probably take a US contributor to explain the context - Old Home Week. It's obviously not a reference to Old Home Week - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , but the picture on that page gives a hint of the patriotic flavour. Maybe the girls were making an illuminated scroll of the Declaration of Independence....

b

Yes, I did think it was that kind of scroll, but I am still somewhat puzzled about what would be written and painted on them, Sure, it could be the Declaration of Independence, or something like that, but an Old Home Week doesn't have anything to to with the celebration of Fourth of July. Instead, an Old Home Week is a sort of homecoming week, where people who have moved away from the area they grew up in to make a better life for themselves somewhere else, most often in bigger cities, come back to "the old homestead" for a sort of festival week.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

It looks to me like the girls were preparing decorations for North Dormer's Old Home Week and they were creating reproductions of what they deemed to be important symbols.