• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Is my understanding of the sentence proper?

Hello Everyone,

This sentence is selected from Longmanonline Dictionary. Please tell me whether I have understood the meaning of the sentence!

She makes very general assertions about marriage in the poem

I think the sentence means she tells us about her general opinions on marriage in the poem. Am I correct?

Thanks and Best Regards

Sky

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Is my understanding of the sentence proper?

To make assertions means that her assumptions about marriage in the poem are stated strongly with assurance and confidence, but without sufficient support or proof.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    To make assertions means that her assumptions about marriage in the poem are stated strongly with assurance and confidence, but without sufficient support or proof.
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I can't fully understand the sentence based on your reply! Can you please give me another sentence which is similar to the one selected from the dictionary! Also can you give me an exact example about the sentence?

Waiting for your reply?

Regards

Sky

Without full understanding of the grammar, she makes general assertions about English usage. [Merely an example - no-one is being accused of this!]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Without full understanding of the grammar, she makes general assertions about English usage. [Merely an example - no-one is being accused of this!]
    Thanks a lot for your reply! With your help, I can master its corresponding pricise Chinese meaning! Without your replies, I really can't guess the meaning of general. I think in the phrase "make general assertions about" "general" here is used to highlight that one's opinion about sth. is very strong but that such opinion is denpendent on his own experiences and feelings and without any other objective proofs!

And about the sentence "she made very general assertions about marriage in her poems". Maybe her assertions originates from the following background. She maintained a sweet and romantic relationship with her husband before marriage. Her husand takes care of her very well! He often accompanied her to look around shops and often buys new garments for her. On her birthday, he always remembered to offer him flowers. And she accordingly loves her husband very well. Knitted her husband some woolen clothes, did a lot of housework for him. However after marriage, things changed greatly! Owing to their leaning each other very well and having to bear the family burdens, the relationship between them was not as close as before. Gratually, they became bored with each other and complained to each other about their misdemeanour, which finally led to their divorce.Under such experience, she concludes in her poems that "marriage is the tomb of love"

I hope you can tell me whether my understanding of the sentence is proper?

Thanks a lot!

Regards

Sky