Thumbs down parenthesise/scrubber

(1) "In 1988, French photographer Arthur Batut made the first kite aerial photograph when he parenthesised the details of his homeland." (2) "Prince Charles was always in love with Camilla, and saw no contradiction in marrying Diana as an heir producing machine. Whatewver else Charles was up to it was not adultery for the sake of a bit of fun. Diana, on the other hand, comes off as a bit of a scrubber . Early in her marriage, she began an affair with her bodyguard. Then there was a long affair with James Hewitt." What is the meaning of "parenthesise" and "Scrubber" in the above two paras?

Re: parenthesise/scrubber

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    (1) "In 1988, French photographer Arthur Batut made the first kite aerial photograph when he parenthesised the details of his homeland."

It's an odd usage. I think it is saying that he categorised and contained in sections details of the landscape through his aerial photographs.

(2) "Prince Charles was always in love with Camilla, and saw no contradiction in marrying Diana as an heir producing machine. Whatewver else Charles was up to it was not adultery for the sake of a bit of fun. Diana, on the other hand, comes off as a bit of a scrubber . Early in her marriage, she began an affair with her bodyguard. Then there was a long affair with James Hewitt." What is the meaning of "parenthesise" and "Scrubber" in the above two paras?

"scrubber" = [informal and derogatory] a sexually promiscuous woman.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

"parenthsize" has a special meaning in the context of photography (as shown by parenthesize photography - Google Search)

I still don't know what your sentence means for sure, but it might mean he took lots of photos of his homeland with only slight differences.

b

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Romel Panzer View Post
    (1) "In 1988, French photographer Arthur Batut made the first kite aerial photograph when he parenthesised the details of his homeland."
    The photos depicted an interruption of the landscape's continuity. It's a literary choice of word,

An interruption of continuity; an interval: "This is one of the things I wasn't prepared forthe amount of unfilled time, the long parentheses of nothing" Margaret Atwood

parenthesised - definition of parenthesised by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

That definition doesn't take account of the special use of "parenthesize" in the context of photography. When, for example, you're not sure of which shutter speed to use you take several shots of the same composition with different shutter speeds; or you take a shot of a fine sunset by shooting off several exposures, so that you'll catch the best moment. Not being a photographer, I don't follow the quote about Arthur Batut, but I suspect this specialized use of "parenthesize" (or a figurative meaning derived from it) is involved.

b

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    That definition doesn't take account of the special use of "parenthesize" in the context of photography. When, for example, you're not sure of which shutter speed to use you take several shots of the same composition with different shutter speeds; or you take a shot of a fine sunset by shooting off several exposures, so that you'll catch the best moment. Not being a photographer, I don't follow the quote about Arthur Batut, but I suspect this specialized use of "parenthesize" (or a figurative meaning derived from it) is involved.

b
    I think you explained it nicely, though. Shutter speed produces an interruption of continuity, right? In other words, more than one photo of the same sunset produces more than one interpretetaion of that sunset.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    I think you explained it nicely, though....
    When I'm congratulated on explaining something I don't really understand, I wonder who's kidding who!

b

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    When I'm congratulated on explaining something I don't really understand, I wonder who's kidding who!
    What does that mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    What does that mean?
    Just that I'm still lost, and don't think I've explained myself. I don't disagree at all.

b