• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Singapore
      • Current Location:
      • Singapore

Would

I am quite puzzled by the "woulds" in the following sentences. Why didn't the writer simply put everything in the past tense?

1. He had high blood pressure. He complained of blurred vision. He had insomnia. Soon he would develop an aneurysm and gout.

[why not "..he developed..."?]

2. By then, they were old enough to hunt and fish with their father, and this is what he lived for. In later years, his sons would talk about this as the best times they had together.

[why not "...his sons talked about..."?]

3. Unfortunately, after the dispute with Dos Passos, Hemingway lost his last friend who was a writer or artist. For the rest of his life, he would hang out only with sportsmen, soldiers, celebrities, and fans, but never with other creative men and women.

[why not "...he hung out only with..."?]

Re: Would

Quote Originally Posted by spenser View Post
    I am quite puzzled by the "woulds" in the following sentences. Why didn't the writer simply put everything in the past tense?

1. He had high blood pressure. He complained of blurred vision. He had insomnia. Soon he would develop an aneurysm and gout.

2. By then, they were old enough to hunt and fish with their father, and this is what he lived for. In later years, his sons would talk about this as the best times they had together.

3. Unfortunately, after the dispute with Dos Passos, Hemingway lost his last friend who was a writer or artist. For the rest of his life, he would hang out only with sportsmen, soldiers, celebrities, and fans, but never with other creative men and women.

hi spenser
    just passed by and had a load of ur question
    i found the question u just raised very practical and i can be of some help to u in terms of guiding u outta the confusion as i feel.
    well,before we get down to solving the puzzling problem,i hope that u could think about the word"will".i bet u know it refers to the fact that something is gonna happen in the near future.ok,then let's take a look at"would".it is usually used when we wanna say something that happened in the past and it refers to the things in the past.in addition,the word"would"give us a feeling of habit.a case in point is"when i worked in a small hotel by the sea 2 years ago,i would/it was my habit to sit outta the door with a book in my hand,drinking my favor8 coffee and enjoying the amazing scenery?"
    hope i didn't make a pig's ear of the explanation!
    take care my friend
    Rossming
    Last edited by Rossming; 09-Sep-2007 at 13:17.

Please, Rossming, use Standard English in your replies. They are difficult to read without proper spelling, punctuation and capitalization.

Guess it's a bad habit,isn't it? lol
    Anyway,thank you for your warning Anglika!!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Suggestion: punctuation

Place a space after a comma. (I've used the symbol _ below to show where the space should be.)
    Guess it's a bad habit,_isn't it?
    Anyway,_thank you ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by spenser View Post

In all these cases the word "would" refers to the past but it is a past that happened after something else. It's that writer's way of saying those things happened at a time that occurred after the other things that were mentioned. In other words, it is a way of talking about the future.

(It seems like a pretty interesting story. What do you think about it?)

~R