what are the 5 function of gerund?
The following information is from Phrases: Verbal Phrases: Talk Soup — FactMonster.com.
Gerunds can function asThree additional functions are listed here Humanist Archives Vol. 18 : 18.045 J. K. Rowling's address?.
(2) direct objects,
(3) indirect objects,
(4) objects of a preposition,
(5) predicate nominatives, and
Here are some examples of gerunds:
The gerund “studying” is the object of the preposition “by.”
- Leroy expanded his skills by studying.
The gerund “running” is a direct object.
- At the age of 10, Irving started running.
The gerund “kvetching” (an especially virulent form of complaining) is an appositive in this sentence.
- My mother's sole occupation, kvetching, makes her tedious company.
Like a participle, a gerund can be part of a phrase. In that case, the whole package is called a gerund phrase. (Got you with that one, didn't I?) Here are some gerund phrases busy at work in their sentences:
The gerund phrase is “the quiet, steady rowing.”
- The quiet, steady rowing soothed him.
The gerund phrase is “jogging slowly around the block.”
- My evening routine features jogging slowly around the block.
The gerund phrase is “following what's left of The Grateful Dead around the country.”
- Thousands of “Dead Heads” show their dedication to their departed leader by following what's left of The Grateful Dead around the country.
- gerund as an attribute in preposition to noun
- gerund as an attribute in postposition to noun
- gerund as an adverb
Last edited by Soup; 12-Sep-2007 at 14:10.