• Post Thanks / Like

Here you are

Dear Teacher,

I have a question about when we say "Here you are and here it is". Can you explain how to use them and in which situation.

I know that "Here it is" is for when we've found something which we are looking for. "Here you are" is used when we've found someone we are finding and finally we've found that person and we say "Oh, here you are". Is it correct?

I came across "here you are" in an English dialogue about the passport control. It uses "Here you are" when handing a passport to the immigration officer. Why ?

Please kindly explain and thank you so much if you can reply me. I look forward to receiving your reply.

Best regards,
    PS:my e-mail address is EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here you are

"Here you are" can have several meanings.

[The end of a search for someone]
    Here you are at last! I've been looking for you everywhere.

[The end of a search for something, for someone]
    A: Who said 'Gott würfelt nicht'?
    B: I can check for you in this book.... Here you are, it was Einstein.

[To mark the handing over of something. Here, it can be combined with 'Here it is.']
    I know I have a business card somewhere [searching in pockets]... Ah, here it is. [handing it over] Here you are.

(This last - without the 'here it is' - is the one you've heard in the Passport Office.)

A dictionary could no doubt find more meanings, but I'm not sure what to look up