Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Aug 2005
    • Posts: 327
    #1

    how/what

    Why do we ask What does she look like instead of How does she like? I am a speaker of Polish and we use how in this question so it is classical L1interference but if you can explain this...please...


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: how/what

    "What does she look like" >> What is her physical appearance

    "How does she like" is an incomplete question about her preferences >> How does she like her coffee? How does she like to travel.

    You could use "How" > How does she look?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #3

    Re: how/what

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "What does she look like" >> What is her physical appearance

    "How does she like" is an incomplete question about her preferences >> How does she like her coffee? How does she like to travel.

    You could use "How" > How does she look?
    Just a word to add from a Polish guy: this is, actually, a common mistake for Polish students (which I know from my own experience), and we should be aware of it and always remember it.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,215
    #4

    Re: how/what

    Just one more point (that applies at least to American English): "How did she look" isn't used for a physical appearance as much as an emtional state.

    A: I met Jim's new girlfriend.
    B: What did she look like?
    A: About 5 foot 5, a little heavy maybe, brown curly hair and a killer smile.

    A: I met Jim's new girlfriend.
    B: How did she look?
    A: Terrified!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #5

    Re: how/what

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Just one more point (that applies at least to American English): "How did she look" isn't used for a physical appearance as much as an emtional state.

    A: I met Jim's new girlfriend.
    B: What did she look like?
    A: About 5 foot 5, a little heavy maybe, brown curly hair and a killer smile.

    A: I met Jim's new girlfriend.
    B: How did she look?
    A: Terrified!
    So it seems "how does she look?" is a proper question when it comes to asking about an emotional state!

  2. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    #6

    Re: how/what

    It is really interesting, I have the same problem as well, that means it’s the common problem of all English learners.

    “What does she look like” When I directly translate it into my own language, I feel that the answer must be an object.

    Example?

    A:Did you see Anna? What does she look like?
    B: Yes I saw her, she is very fat. She looks like a watermelon

    But with how, I feel that the answer must be an adjective

    Example:

    A: Did you see Anna? How does she look ?
    B: Yes I saw her. She looks very sexy(adj) with her miniskirt.

    Offf, it’s really difficult to learn English. They are really too complicated. I know , I will be keep repeating the same mistakes.
    Last edited by LwyrFirat; 14-Sep-2007 at 20:31.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #7

    Re: how/what

    Quote Originally Posted by LwyrFirat View Post
    It is really interesting, I have the same problem as well, that means it’s the common problem of all English learners.

    “What does she look like” When I directly translate it into my own language, I feel that the answer must be an object.

    Example?

    A:Did you see Anna? What does she look like?
    B: Yes I saw her, she is very fat. She looks like a watermelon

    But with how, I feel that the answer must be an adjective

    Example:

    A: Did you see Anna? How does she look like?
    B: Yes I saw her. She looks very sexy(adj) with her miniskirt.

    Offf, it’s really difficult to learn English. They are really too complicated. I know , I will be keep repeating the same mistakes.
    I think the question should be "how does she look?", as it was in Barb's post, not "how does she look like?".

  3. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    #8

    Re: how/what

    Yes, sorry, I was mistaken.Thanks for reminding. I am editing now.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #9

    Re: how/what

    Quote Originally Posted by LwyrFirat View Post
    Yes, sorry. Thanks for reminding. I am editing now.
    You don't have to be sorry: we both are learners and we both do learn here, so we both do make mistakes. Fortunately we can make them here, not where they should not be done

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •