Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ask for help

Would you mind telling me the difference between idioms & expressions?
    Thank you many times
    Yours

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: ask for help

Quote Originally Posted by binhco View Post
    Would you mind telling me the difference between idioms & expressions?
    Thank you many times
    Yours
    For expression, Longman Dict. has this:
    WORD/PHRASE
    [countable]a word or group of words with a particular meaning
    The old-fashioned expression 'in the family way' means 'pregnant'.
    (A non-native-and-teacher helper)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

"Expression" is a broad or general word meaning anything that a person communicates in words (speech or writing), movement, art or music.

An idiom is an expression that has a meaning that is different, or not obviously understood, from the meanings of the individual words making up that expression. Her nagging drives me up the wall: annoys or upsets me greatly, or makes me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    "Expression" is a broad or general word meaning anything that a person communicates in words (speech or writing), movement, art or music.

An idiom is an expression that has a meaning that is different, or not obviously understood, from the meanings of the individual words making up that expression. Her nagging drives me up the wall: annoys or upsets me greatly, or makes me crazy.

So did you mean an idiom is also an expression? Could you give ma some more examples to illustrate them?
    Thank you so much

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

So did you mean an idiom is also an expression? Could you give ma some more examples to illustrate them?
    Thank you so much
    A sentence, a word, an idiom and anything that you express is called an expression. An idiom is a particular type of expression.

On the left-hand side of the screen in this website (forum page), you can click on "Idioms" under the category bar "Language Reference" for more examples.

Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    A sentence, a word, an idiom and anything that you express is called an expression. An idiom is a particular type of expression.

On the left-hand side of the screen in this website (forum page), you can click on "Idioms" under the category bar "Language Reference" for more examples.

Thank you so much for your answers. But would you mind telling the difference beween an idiom , an idiomatic expression, and a proverb? Some more examples to illustrate them,please. Thanks again

Thank you so much for your answers. But would you mind telling the difference beween an idiom , an idiomatic expression, and a proverb? Some more examples to illustrate them,please. Thanks again
    For example, "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is an idiom, an idiomatic expression or a proverb?

It is a proverb - a short saying stating a general truth or piece of advice.

An idiom = a group of words whose meaning cannot be deduced from those of the individual words (e.g. over the moon meaning very happy)

An expression [it is virtually the same as an idiom]= a word or phrase expressing an idea > "a can of worms" meaning a difficult situation {if you visualize a can filled with squirming worms, you will see how it can be used to mean this}

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is a proverb - a short saying stating a general truth or piece of advice.

An idiom = a group of words whose meaning cannot be deduced from those of the individual words (e.g. over the moon meaning very happy)

An expression [it is virtually the same as an idiom]= a word or phrase expressing an idea > "a can of worms" meaning a difficult situation {if you visualize a can filled with squirming worms, you will see how it can be used to mean this}
    Thank you, but "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is said an idiom on "Idioms" under the category bar "Language Reference", on the left-hand side of the screen in this website (forum page),

Thank you, but "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is said an idiom on "Idioms" under the category bar "Language Reference", on the left-hand side of the screen in this website (forum page),
    Yes this could be considered an idiom...and frankly you could have found out that before asking the question by consulting that list.

To me a proverb is a wise saying...the meaning is clear and provokes thought.

for example this is a Chinese proverb that I like:

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

The meaning is clear and not hidden, at the same time makes you think of your life.

With an idiom the meaning is usually confusing to a non-native English speaker and sometimes to a native English speaker (though we can often figure them out)

I'll bet that watch cost him a pretty penny!

Cost him a pretty penny is an idiomatic expression meaning: is expensive

An expression is just a collection of words expressing a thought. Idiomatic expression and idiom mean the same thing. An idiomatic expression just uses more words to express the thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast