Practising without sources

In my country we have compulsory military obligation and probably I will attend it in December. And, it might take 1.5 year. During that period books, tapes, internet all are not allowed to bring in.Plus, I don't think so I can find someone to practice it by speaking. In that future period my purpose is of course not to improve my english, I just don't want to forget the knowledge which I've learned. Is there any way to do that? Do you know any kind of exercise which can be done withouth sources?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Practising without sources

What about letters? Is there a military law against receiving letters from friends and/or family? What about poetry? Reciting poetry (to yourself) is one way of keeping connected to language. Start memorizing.

I really love these forums I can't believe that how your brain works that practically. Is it the result of being teacher. Letters are great idea, though I am not talented poetry as well.Thank you Soup

PS Actually I saw the answer when you firt wrote, but my connection was suddenly gone so I could't reply until now.I'm sorry.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Another way is simply to talk to yourself (in your mind if there is someone that could hear you and you want to avoid it). Sounds a little bit silly, but it does work. Some time ago I practiced it and found quite useful, though now I don't do that too often; one needs to be really motivated for this exercise. You can simply describe in your mind what you're seeing, but the topic is totally free; the only obstacle is your own mind, which will quite quickly become bored of this kind of exercise; it was with me, in fact, but I wasn't in the army (lucky me!). This is at least a good way of not forgetting the words.

[Neither a teacher nor a NES]

Thank you nyggus for your recommendation, I will try that one as well. Luckly I am self-motivated on this subject.