Will vs going to future

hi

I have problems with deciding whether to use the "will-future" or the "going-to future". The explanations I found over the internet are kind of confusing. Can sb help me?

thanks a lot

PL

P.S.: also, could somebody try to help me with my pronounciation problem in this thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/p...fferently.html

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Will vs going to future

Can you write a couple sentences where you're not sure which one to use?

I added a comment on the "a"

Hello everybody!

I'm Atanas from Bulgaria and I need to know something that I can't find as wrong as it is seems .Sorry about my terrible English , it is my first reply.

What you can tell me about: 'What you gonna do?' just like in songs that maybe you know and 'What you are going to do?'

I know that in songs it is allowed to use everything but I couldn't find the explanation about this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Like you said, songs do all kinds of things that "proper English" would never allow.

What are you going to do? -- This is the correct form.

Take a look at this thread and see if this helps you:
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...ll-do-sth.html
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by powerlerner View Post
    hi

I have problems with deciding whether to use the "will-future" or the "going-to future". The explanations I found over the internet are kind of confusing. Can sb help me?

thanks a lot

PL

P.S.: also, could somebody try to help me with my pronounciation problem in this thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/p...fferently.html
    Generally we use "will" for spur of the moment decisions and "going to for things that we have planned. Imagine that you meet a friend in the street and she says "Jane is in hospital" you say "Oh, I didn't know, I will got to see her this afternoon". Later you meet another friend and she says "Jane is in hospital" you say "Yes, I know, I'm going to see her this afternoon". Does this help?

bhaisahab: Generally we use "will" for spur of the moment decisions

OR....is it something completely different!

One day, man will walk on Mars--/One day, man will be going to Mars on holiday.

Even the words:
    " You're right. I will risk it"
    ...uttered on the spur of the moment, where the 'spur' is some counsel, does not clarify the use of 'will' with regard to Future tense versus 'Man will be going to Mars'/"Man is going to Mars - film at 10."

PS I'm also very surprised that a Moderator bought into another poster's near hijacking of the thread!!!!!
    Are the duties of moderators to have knee-jerk reactions to seeming breaches of decorum, or, far more, to maintain the academic standards of this forum - it's raison d'Ítre?

Perhaps if the latter were 'seen to be done', then contributors to this forum would find less call for breaches of decorum?
    Last edited by Excalibur; 29-Nov-2009 at 11:42.

Thank you!
    I asked only for this form of usage of 'going to' used in US.Maybe the whole summer I couldn't hear this "'re" into "you're" in their speech because I've been in US for 5 months this year . I have a lot of another questions but they aren't for here.Thank you again!