• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

A suggestion

Dear webmaster,

Some visitors to the forum might forget (or might be intentionally not) to indicate they are not teachers when answering the poster's questions. So, could you make up a teacher list for us to examine, so that we could realise whether an answer is given by a qualified teacher or a gate-crasher? Though difficult, still worthy of a try.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: A suggestion

Fabulous idea!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Last edited by Tdol; 19-Sep-2007 at 11:35. Reason: URL changed

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

I tried to add my name, but ... "Soup, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: ... "

I think so its very good idea. I made a similar suggestion here, https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/c...-new-post.html , but nobody replied.

Even users might have different colour for their names, to indicate their
    proficiency more clearly, also small descriptions can be written under their names.

Such as;

Native English Teachers:Red
    Non Native teachers:Black
    Non-native regular users:Blue
    Native regular users: Green

Visual Example:

Soup
    Native English Teacher

LwyrFirat
    Non-Native Regular User

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/f...tml#post210681
    How could I access the list?
    Does this help?
    Was the reponse to your proposal sinking like a stone in water?
    BTW, are there any idioms describing such conditions?
    Like, an echo in the ravine, a stone in the ocean, etc. (my invention only).
    Last edited by albertino; 19-Sep-2007 at 08:57.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Colors are a good idea, but what of new users, how will they know? There are more than a few colors to remember, no?

How do we know, though, that people are telling us the truth, that they are who they say they are? I can tell a teacher from a non-teacher because I have been teaching for a very long time, but can users tell?

A case in point: two teachers, one a native speaker, the other a non-native speaker, provide different answers to a poster's question. The poster assumes the native speaker's answer should be correct and therefore accepts it at face value, when in actuality the native speaker's answer was incorrect. It was the non-native speaker's answer that was correct.

What I am getting at here is titles are labels; labels hold meaning (just like colors hold meaning; e.g., red is associated with errors, anger, ect.) Why divide us when we are one? The term "Teacher" should suffice.

So let's forget about the colours, as you know under your name it's written "member" instead "teacher" can be written at least.

A case in point: two teachers, one a native speaker, the other a non-native speaker, provide different answers to a poster's question. The poster assumes the native speaker's answer should be correct and therefore accepts it at face value, when in actuality the native speaker's answer was incorrect. It was the non-native speaker's answer that was correct.

I think in that case it's better to leave the decision to the user. They can decide by themselves that which one is more reliable. But when they make a decision, they should take a risk at the same time. Isn't it it the same in every aspect of the life? It's impossible to creat the perfect.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by LwyrFirat View Post
    I think in that case it's better to leave the decision to the user. They can decide by themselves that which one is more reliable. But when they make a decision, they should take a risk at the same time. Isn't it it the same in every aspect of the life? It's impossible to creat the perfect.
    I agree with you. In practice though, threads have and will continue to turn into arguments over who is more of an authority, the native speaker or the non-native speaker.

LwyrFirat, when people see the words Ask a Teacher, their first assumption, and a valid one at that, is that a teacher is going to reply, that they are going to get help from a qualified professional, which is why you started this thread: to put qualifications to answers. The second assumption, not so valid and somewhat erroneous, is that the teacher will be a native English speaker. (By the way, and if you haven't already notice this about the teachers here, non-native speakers give just as good advice as native speakers.)

Again, and using the premise, matching qualifications to answers, is there really a difference here between wanting to know if an answer comes from a native speaker or a non-native speaker when both are qualified teachers? To me and you, no there isn't a difference, but to others there is, and we see it here, now and then. On an English grammar forum and elsewhere in the world, as you probably already know, labelling teachers 'non-native' perpetuates the destruction of human dignity and spirit. So, let others label away, but as for here, I would like to see us united, as one, and called "teachers", and leave the decision [whose a language authority] to the user, as you said.

Dear Soup,

I completely agree with you about "unification"- "discrimination" issue. Though even if somebody discriminates me I wouldn't mind at all as I don't have complex about the things which are out of my contrtol(being Nes or Not).

But, I don't know whether you noticed or not, the forums already indicate indirectly the nativeness of the users, without intending to discriminate someone of course.

Ex.
    First Language: Turkish

So , I think ,there was no need to discuss it as the forums had already solved the problem politely . But, it was very nice to hear your humanistic views on that occasion. Thanks, bye for now
    Last edited by LwyrFirat; 19-Sep-2007 at 13:13.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast