• Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Would you please help me in this story

Dear all,

Would you please help in understanding the meanings of the words I have highlited. Also I am not able to understand what is grammar behind saddest of cities.

Thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

There was once in the country of Alifbay a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue.

In the north of the sad city stood mighty factories in which (so I’m told) sadness was actually manufactured, packaged and sent all over the world, which never seemed to get enough of it. Black smoke poured out of the chimneys of the sadness factories and hung over the city like bad news.

And in the depths of the city, beyond an old zone of ruined buildings that look like broken hearts, there lived a happy young fellow by name of Haroun, the only child of the storyteller Rashid Khalifa, whose cheerfulness was famous throughout that unhappy metropolis, and whose never-ending stream of tall, and winding tales had earned him not one but two nicknames. …………….

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Would you please help me in this story

This is a novel by Salman Rushdie, "Haroun and the Seas of Stories", isn' t it?This is the first time I've ever seen(not read) his novel. It's very impressive.

It is fugurative and poetic, so those interpretations are not "correct", but
    I hope I can help you to appreciate it.

A sad city means a city which makes people there sad, or where many sad people live.

Saddist of cities means a city which makes peple there very, very sad.
    or the people living there are the saddest people in the world.

Ruinously sad means is like living in a ruin and feeling very sad.

it had forgotten its name is like an expression I came across when I read fairy stories as a child.The city is dishonored. People living there are looked down on.

They made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue.
    The fish taste bad and are nutrient-poor, difficult to digest, so they fill people with gas and make them belch and feel melacholy, Even when it is beatiful weather,

Which never seemed to get enough of it
    There are many sad things, and they are always increasing.

The depth of the city means an area which are very far form the edge.

Alifbay a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. [the city itself was sad - it had nothing that made its streets lively, or its buildings look happy, and its atmosphere was depressed; even its name is lost in the gloom of depression] Rushdie is using hyperbole to emphasise the intense sadness of the city.

It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue. Even the fish are so imbued with misery that if you ate one, you became filled with melancholy to such a degree that you belch.

In the north of the sad city stood mighty factories in which (so I’m told) [that is what other people have told me] sadness was actually manufactured, packaged and sent all over the world, which never seemed to get enough of it. [The world's demand for sadness could never be fully satisfied, however much was sent out to it.] Black smoke poured out of the chimneys of the sadness factories and hung over the city like bad news.

And in the depths of the city,[In the city's interior] beyond an old zone of ruined buildings that look like broken hearts, there lived a happy young fellow by name of Haroun, the only child of the storyteller Rashid Khalifa, whose cheerfulness was famous throughout that unhappy metropolis, and whose never-ending stream of tall, and winding tales had earned him not one but two nicknames. …………….[/quote]..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thanks for your help. Now it is clear to me.

I am feeling difficulty in understaning the article further. If I feel any difficulty, I would disturb u again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Alifbay a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. [the city itself was sad - it had nothing that made its streets lively, or its buildings look happy, and its atmosphere was depressed; even its name is lost in the gloom of depression] Rushdie is using hyperbole to emphasise the intense sadness of the city.

It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue. Even the fish are so imbued with misery that if you ate one, you became filled with melancholy to such a degree that you belch.

In the north of the sad city stood mighty factories in which (so I’m told) [that is what other people have told me] sadness was actually manufactured, packaged and sent all over the world, which never seemed to get enough of it. [The world's demand for sadness could never be fully satisfied, however much was sent out to it.] Black smoke poured out of the chimneys of the sadness factories and hung over the city like bad news.

And in the depths of the city,[In the city's interior] beyond an old zone of ruined buildings that look like broken hearts, there lived a happy young fellow by name of Haroun, the only child of the storyteller Rashid Khalifa, whose cheerfulness was famous throughout that unhappy metropolis, and whose never-ending stream of tall, and winding tales had earned him not one but two nicknames. …………….
    ..[/QUOTE]

Happy to help at any time - you won't be disturbing us at all