Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 118
    #1

    A Test: Who's that?

    Who's that?
    It's me.

    Who's that?
    It's him.

    It's him who tells me that; or: It's he who tells me that (?)
    It's them who tell me that; or: It's they who tell me that (?)
    Last edited by justinwschang; 19-Sep-2007 at 17:44. Reason: Insert (?)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #2

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    Who's that?
    It's me.

    Who's that?
    It's him.

    It's him who tells me that; or: It's he who tells me that (?)
    It's them who tell me that; or: It's they who tell me that?
    It's he who tells me that -correct
    He is the person/ the one [ who] tells me ...

    He - nominative case

    It's they who tell me that - correct
    They are the persons [who] tell me...

    They - nominative case

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 118
    #3

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    Who's that?
    It's me.

    Who's that?
    It's him.

    It's him who tells me that; or: It's he who tells me that (?)
    It's them who tell me that; or: It's they who tell me that (?)
    HINT: The correct answer has to do with the verb BE.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #4

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    HINT: The correct answer has to do with the verb BE.
    Meaning?? I don`t understand your point.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 118
    #5

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Meaning?? I don`t understand your point.
    Shall we wait for more responses first? I'm hoping some students will try answering this.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #6

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    Shall we wait for more responses first? I'm hoping some students will try answering this.
    Of course. I agree.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,216
    #7

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Here's a more obvious hint.
    Look at "who tells me." What case is the who? Is it in the subject case or the object case? The he/him should match that case.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 19-Sep-2007 at 18:10.

  2. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    #8

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    I don’t know anything at all about the grammar but with logic;

    Who’s that?- Who is the person that (knocking the door)?- I am knocking the door ;so

    Who’s that? Grammatically the short answer should be I but in daily conversation people say me.

    Who’s that?- Who is the person that (knocking the door)?-He is knocking the door-
    Answer should be he is.- not him


    So I choose , It's he who tells me that.

    The things I’ve said might be completely irrelevant, so I am sorry in advance ;)
    Last edited by LwyrFirat; 20-Sep-2007 at 02:12.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 118
    #9

    Re: A Test: Who's that?

    Quote Originally Posted by justinwschang View Post
    Who's that?
    It's me.

    Who's that?
    It's him.

    It's him who tells me that; or: It's he who tells me that (?)
    It's them who tell me that; or: It's they who tell me that (?)
    CORRECT ANSWERS: It is he who tells me that; It is they who tell me that.

    (Note for students: (a) "I', "he", "they", etc = nominative (or subjective) case = used as the subject of a verb; (b) "me", "him", "them", etc = objective case = used as the object of a verb, or object of a preposition)


    (A) THE PROPOSITION (Why This ?) EXPLANATION

    Grammar rule: A pronoun must be used in the nominative case where it is the subject of a verb, or where IT IS IDENTIFIED (ASSOCIATED) WITH THE SUBJECT OF A FINITE VERB.

    It is he who tells me that: "It" is the subject of "is"; "who" is the subject of "tells"; "who" = nominative case ("whom" = objective case); "he" is identified with "who", therefore we use "he" (nominative) and not "him" (objective).


    (B) THE REBUTTAL (Why Not That?) EXPLANATION

    Objection: "Who's that? It is him"; so why not also "It is him who tells me that".

    Grammar rule: The verb BE [am, is, are, was, were (as finite verbs), be, being, been (as main verbs)] cannot/does not have an object; however, its meaning is complete only if read together with its complement (also called predicate word or words).

    It is him: Although "him" is the objective case, it is not the object of "is", but is instead called the complement or predicate pronoun of "is".

    It is he who tells me that: The underlined part is the complement or predicate words of "is"; we don't need to use "him" as the object of "is" because "is" cannot/does not take an object.

    Objection: Since "is" doesn't need an object, why can't we say "Who's that? It is he".

    Grammar rule: A subject must have a verb.

    It is he: "It" (subject) has "is" as its verb; "he" (nominative case = subject) does not have a verb here; therefore the sentence should be "It is him". However, we will say: It is he who is here. (See next line of explanation)

    It is he who tells me that: "It" (subject) has "is" as its verb; "he" (nominative case = subject), being identified with the subjective case "who", has "tells" as its verb.

    Also, because "he" is singular, "tells" is (must be) singular; "who" doesn't indicate whether "tell" should be singular or plural. Therefore also: It is they who tell me that.

    Last edited by justinwschang; 20-Sep-2007 at 07:49. Reason: add "be"; add additional explanation (in blue)

Similar Threads

  1. on a test or in a test
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Apr-2007, 14:38
  2. "You don't wanna test me!"
    By Blabbermouth in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2006, 20:35
  3. How can I get my own placement test
    By ngschool in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Aug-2005, 13:32
  4. i need some hints for my final test (ENGLISH TEST)
    By fantomboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jan-2005, 15:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •