1. Unregistered

Gig up

Hi,

I don't know what does the expression means "I have a gig up from you in every way".

Can you help me?

Thank's

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Gig up

What was the context? It might mean that the person is better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I don't know what does the expression means "I have a gig up from you in every way".

Can you help me?

Thank's
    I have never heard "gig" used in this manner. A "gig" is a slang word for "entertainment performance", usually for a very short period of time. For example a sentence might be:

"My band is doing a gig up in England next week and then we will return to Canada."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

There is another off-chance possibility: to show an overweening sign
    to gig = To insult someone by way of raising the middle finger in their direction, most often used in situations where verbal insults are impractical.

Urban dictionary

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

It could also refer to gig(abit).

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Urban dictionary
    That's a great source.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    There is another off-chance possibility: to show an overweening sign
    to gig = To insult someone by way of raising the middle finger in their direction, most often used in situations where verbal insults are impractical.

Urban dictionary
    Hahahaha...it does not mean that at all...or maybe it does in one tiny segment of the English speaking community but when you look at the Urban Dictionary (which is a dictionary of slang), look at how many thumbs up versus how many thumbs down a definition gets. This will tell you how common the proposed definition is. In this case the definition you describe above has only 5 thumbs up versus 30 thumbs down. So very few consider this to be a definition of the word gig

What you are describing is normally called flipping (or giving) the bird in slang terms

compare other definitions of gig in this dictionary

217 thumbs up versus 34 thumbs down
    A live performance, either musical, theatrical, or physical.
    140 thumbs up versus 77 thumbs down
    to go dumb on the dance floor.. get into it mayne! yadadamean!?
    76 thumbs up versus 46 thumbs down
    1. A job, usually in the entertainment injustry.
    2. An abbreviated form of "gigabyte."
    3. A verb meaning to use a spear-like implement to stab into a small animal such as a fish or frog.

Just because there is an entry into the Urban dictionary doesn't mean it is commonly used. Look at the thumbs up versus thumbs down count to determine common usage.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

The context could be about dancing. That is, gig (+ up on you) could be a nominal form of the verb gig, to go dumb on the dance floor. Cf. speculated gig noun, a dumb move on the dance floor. (I'm not one to play the Ouija board, to speculate what something means without context--the poster has yet to provide that, or doesn't have it--but just because a word is not listed in a dictionary doesn't mean it couldn't be a word in use today.)

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao
    Just because there is an entry into the Urban dictionary doesn't mean it is commonly used. Look at the thumbs up versus thumbs down count to determine common usage.
    Sound advice, which is why I think vil mentioned it could be an 'off-chance possibility.'

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Context of this sentence...by the sender

Hi,

I was not a member, when i send this question. Here is the context.

Recently i met a girl and we have a special and bizarre relationship. I speak french, my english is poor and she only speaks english. Sometimes communication is difficult and sometimes our relationship is very good and sometimes not.

One day, i met her and our relationship was so so. After that she leaves me a message on my ansaphone and she said among other things "I have a gig up from you in every way". After that i saw her again and when i told her that her message was not clear for me, she said : "Forget this message because i felt not good when i called you.

And i dare not to ask her because she does not want to talk about that. I really don't know if it was positive or negative but i am curious of what she means when she said that expression.

Thanks

Re: Context of this sentence...by the sender

Quote Originally Posted by joblo View Post
    Hi,

I was not a member, when i send this question. Here is the context.

Recently i met a girl and we have a special and bizarre relationship. I speak french, my english is poor and she only speaks english. Sometimes communication is difficult and sometimes our relationship is very good and sometimes not.

One day, i met her and our relationship was so so. After that she leaves me a message on my ansaphone and she said among other things "I have a gig up from you in every way". After that i saw her again and when i told her that her message was not clear for me, she said : "Forget this message because i felt not good when i called you.

And i dare not to ask her because she does not want to talk about that. I really don't know if it was positive or negative but i am curious of what she means when she said that expression.

Thanks
    Her message makes no sense to me either...don't feel so bad