Poll: Someone with a bun in the oven is...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: Bun in the oven

I know, I was just continuing the list for fun. Thank you for the extremely useful document!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Here in Maine, USA, there's a big distinction made between so-called natives and people "from away," also known as flatlanders, even if they're from Colorado or Nepal.

It's not enough to be born here. You're not a Mainer unless you were conceived here. There's a saying: Just 'cause the cat had her kittens in the oven, that don't make 'em biscuits."
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Eden Darien View Post
    I've got it right too.

But it sounds somewhat humorous. Is it really okay to use such kind of idiom?
    It is humourous in a mild way but rarely would you say it directly to the person who is pregnant. The only time that might be acceptable would be if you were a very good friend of the person and were pretty sure she was pregnant, but you have not been told. Even then that is a risky thing to do. If she is not pregnant and her changing figure is just a weight gain, this would be offensive to her.

It is more often used between conversations with others about someone who may be pregnant.

I have seen some couples using a picture of a bun in an oven, to announce their pregnancy to their friends and relatives. It would be a funny way to make the announcement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3