Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 62
    #1

    relaxing/ relaxed

    Hi teachers,
    What is difference between “a relaxing holiday” and “a relaxed holiday”?

    Kitty


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #2

    Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Hi teachers,
    What is difference between “a relaxing holiday” and “a relaxed holiday”?

    Kitty
    Relaxed as an adjective means no pressure, unperturbed. So a relaxed holiday is one which not stressful, everything is going smooth and trouble free.

    A relaxing holiday is one where you do nothing physical. You spend your time eating, listening to music or lying in the sun in a deck chair............mmmmmmmm sounds nice


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #3

    Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Hi teachers,
    What is difference between “a relaxing holiday” and “a relaxed holiday”?

    Kitty
    On a personal level, I don't agree with Naamplao as a holiday spent doing nothing physical, lazing around the beach or the pool is, to me, the very antithesis of a relaxing holiday.

    Often, most often [??] inanimate nouns cannot be "adjective + ed". A movie cannot be bored, only boring. People can be bored by a boring movie.

    Obviously, this is one adjective that has made the jump to 'holiday'. 'vacation' too, I suspect so. I don't think it has made such a leap that it works with all nouns,

    *a relaxed chair/sofa/bed/...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 62
    #4

    Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Thank you Naamplao for the clear and easy-to-understand answer.
    Thank you riverkid for the additional information.

    By the way, I'm wondering if it's better to add "the" before "difference" to my original question?

    Kitty


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #5

    Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

    By the way, I'm wondering if it's better to add "the" before "difference" to my original question?

    Kitty
    I meant to mention that but I forgot. Yes, you need 'the' there, Kitty.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jun 2005
    • Posts: 62
    #6

    Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Thanks again, riverkid!

    kitty

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #7

    Smile Re: relaxing/ relaxed

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    On a personal level, I don't agree with Naamplao as a holiday spent doing nothing physical, lazing around the beach or the pool is, to me, the very antithesis of a relaxing holiday.

    Often, most often [??] inanimate nouns cannot be "adjective + ed". A movie cannot be bored, only boring. People can be bored by a boring movie.

    Obviously, this is one adjective that has made the jump to 'holiday'. 'vacation' too, I suspect so. I don't think it has made such a leap that it works with all nouns,

    *a relaxed chair/sofa/bed/...
    I'm not a native, but I think Naamplao is right as well as you are to some extent, Riverkid.
    There's usually a considerable difference between adjectives ending in -ing and -ed. But as for the noun holiday, it's similar to the use of the above adjectives with the noun atmosphere:

    Sophia did her best to provide a relaxing atmosphere in her home. (= pleasant, and making you or others feel relaxed)
    Sophia did her best to provide her students with classes in a relaxed atmosphere. (= casual, and making others not being too much worried about something)


Similar Threads

  1. so relaxed - as relaxed
    By MiaL in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-May-2006, 21:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •