• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

intimations of freer?

From Seven Lies by James Lasdun:

"...the things my father had brought back from America - my Slinky, my diver's watch, my skyscraper pens. Haveing neglected them for a while, I once again found myself gratefully appreciating these objects. I pored over them, feeling them dilate in my mind until the world they connoted - snatches of imagined music, imagined flavors and textures, intimations of freer, larger human types - was more vividly present to me than my own surroundings."

What are "intimations of freer" and "larger human types"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: intimations of freer?

Quote Originally Posted by Eway View Post
    From Seven Lies by James Lasdun:

"...the things my father had brought back from America - my Slinky, my diver's watch, my skyscraper pens. Haveing neglected them for a while, I once again found myself gratefully appreciating these objects. I pored over them, feeling them dilate in my mind until the world they connoted - snatches of imagined music, imagined flavors and textures, intimations of freer, larger human types - was more vividly present to me than my own surroundings."

What are "intimations of freer" and "larger human types"?
    You're confusing yourself by trying to break it down into units that don't stand up on their own. He is remembering his childhood, in which he had views of human types that were freer and larger than they are now: someone was good or bad, and might do anything - adults were something special - big, powerful, all-knowing... Now he knew better.

b