really i don't know what i like to say but really u r coooool
and thank u so much noego and i want to be one of students
and how? i want to know that .
one again thank u so much and good luck:up:

Planet Editing

Member Type
Other
Save Our Souls- or At Least Save Mine
You and a group of friends decide to take a holiday in Europe. When you are in France you decide to take a balloon trip over the Alps. You think it will be a fun way to see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Unfortunately, things go horribly wrong. When you are thousands of feet above the ground your balloon develops a slow leak. What is worse is that ground control tells you that one of you will have to jump overboard so that the others can land safely.

There are five of you plus the pilot in the balloon.

Journalist

Journalist: 42 years old
Married: Yes.
Children: 2
Dependents: Yes (elderly parents)

One of you is a respected syndicated international journalist. You have been reporting on world affairs for your country for many years. Your opinions are highly valued by your editor and your articles are widely read.

Monk
Monk: 33 years old
Married: no
Children: no
Dependents: Yes, everybody

One of you is a monk. You have a large spiritual following. People hang off your every word. Some people have told you that you have changed their lives forever bringing happiness and joy to their existence.

History Professor
History Professor: 65 years old
Married: Yes
Children: 6
Dependents: 90-year-old mother, youngest son and daughter.

One of you is a history teacher. You are a professor at a famous university. Your teachings on history are perhaps the most recognized in the world. People find your classes amusing, but more importantly they are influential in public policy.

Scientist
Cancer Scientist: 35 years old
Married: No
Dependents: Yes, elderly parents

One of you is a cancer scientist. Your research into the causes of cancer has led to the development of a number of drugs that have increased the chances of surviving cancer. You also lecture others in biochemistry.

Politician
Politician: 55 years old
Married: Yes
Children: 3
Dependents: no

You are a good politician. You are always trying to help your constituents. People respect your hard work and believe you are not corrupt. You have done a lot of good for your local community.

1. Read the profile you have been assigned.

2. In your group make an argument why you should not have to jump overboard.

3. Make an argument for why each of the others should jump overboard a head of you.

In your group note 4 reasons for and against your own survival:

For
1. ____________________________________________________

2.____________________________________________________

3.____________________________________________________

4.____________________________________________________

Against

1._____________________________________________________

2._____________________________________________________

3._____________________________________________________

4._____________________________________________________

Do the same for the other people.

Select somebody in your group to represent your team. This person must argue your position. Others can help them make their argument if it’s appropriate.

blingenfelter

Member Type
English Teacher
My favorite grammar lesson involves comparing sentences to married couples - the husband/wife = the subject/verb. When it's time for direct objects, I bring in one of my daughters' baby dolls, and the "verb" gets to hold it. With a middle-school audience, it's a lot of fun.

Over the course of several classes, I go over basic sentence completeness, fragments and run-ons, and then sentence types.

The marriage metaphor creates interactions with grammatical concepts, and makes grammar lessons much less "ugh" for the students.

Email me for more details or let me know how it goes. More info about the lesson here

Ben

Last edited:

Globler2009

Member Type
English Teacher
:). Thank you for your sharing with us your teaching experience.
Would you please give me some more suggestions on helping the students to improve their listening ability? Many thanks!

chourouk

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria

petershell

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,
I have spent a very long time creating materials which I feel are very effective. You can try them here:
4 Free Units
Hope they work for you!

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi Noego,

I just signed up into this useful site. It took me long, you know. I'm typing something quick. You can find class-planning tips, games that do not take beforehand preparation, experiences of a teacher of English plus teacher trainer, etc., on my blog.

Hope any useful to you and other teachers!

Sorry, I could not put my link, basically because I'm new here on this site. Some games that come up to mind:

1. Hangman, but with words instead of just letters: it helps practice grammar and making up full sentences.

2. Dictionary game: you write a word on the board, and the winner is the student who found the word first.

3. Mental directions: you, slowly, tell your students some instructions to reach such or such place in the school. They follow your instructions in their minds. They say the right place who all have reached.

4. Help them write their resume (Curriculum Vitae) to prepare a job interview one of them has to face up with, to be employed to a company or job you all have agreed.

5. The job interview with a student, before the class.

I wrote some games, quicly.Like i told you I have many more. Hopethese ones can help you out. - I wrote some games different levels of English.

Best wishes

Fernando Diez Gallego

I have to learn how to attach a picture of mine to my profile. Well, later on!

shodg001

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Germany
Hi,

I've started doing some work with current events here in Germany, and also making some attempts at using multimedia in the classroom. The materials I made or adapted are on my website www english-ninja com. Everything is free and I try to update it weekly. I'd appreciate feedback on the materials if anyone gets a chance.

Regards,

Shawn

portuguese

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks for sharing. I've just become a member and I've seen your riddles activity. I'm currently with a weekly challenge through E-mail with my students and they have to answer the riddle. So your riddles came in the right time.
Thank you very much.

Ulybin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
UK
Hello, I would like to share the lesson I prepared for CELTA assignment 3 (authentic material lesson). I used it succesfully in a small elementary class of 8 adults. I didn't have the time to let the students role-play their dialogues at the end, but I wasted some time earlier, I think this lesson can be done in 60 minutes.

Preparation: You will need a pair of earplugs for each student, a laptop and a projector.

The class: Elementary. Students should be able to form positives, negatives and questions in present simple, and to ask for / give / spell names and addresses.
Small class: 6 – 10 students.

Time: 60 minutes.

Materials Used: “Sound Name” sketch from “A bit of Fry & Laurie”, season 01, episode 02, BBC2 1989 (transcript) and 2 handouts: gapfill exercise and example dialogue.

Aims: To give students practice at listening for gist and for specific information. To give students fluency practice at asking questions and at retelling what they have heard / seen. To give students less controlled spoken practice / rehash of asking for / giving / spelling names and addresses in a form of a role-play. To raise students confidence with authentic texts.

NEW LANGUAGE:

Structural: No new structures introduced.

Lexical:
Verbs: to drop, to (tap)dance, to slap, to punch, to hit.
Nouns: a nipple, a lighter, a bit, a (cricket) bat.
Adjectives: unusual.
Phrases: hold on a second, how do you spell, it's as it sounds.

PROCEDURE:

Lead-in
Elicit a few body parts (finger, head, eye, leg), incorporate a nipple as seamlessly as possible, write it up, drill.
Show the first still: a policeman writing something, a man in front of him. Ask the students to describe the picture. What do you think happens next?

Listening 1
Divide the class into two groups, they sit in two rows facing each other: one group sits their back to the screen, another group faces the screen.
Explain that one group will watch the film with earplugs in, and another will only listen. They will make notes, so they can later remember what they heard / saw and retell it to other students.
Distribute the ear-buds. First half of the film (name) is screened.

Group-work 1
Students sit in two separate groups. In their groups, students discuss what the story of the film could be and prepare questions for another group.

Class-work 1
To drop, a lighter introduced.
Students get together. Free speaking activity: they ask each other questions and try to recap the sketch together.

Listening 2
Same as 1, but swap the groups.
Second half of the film (address) is screened.

Group-work 2

Class-work 2
To (tap)dance, to slap, to punch, to hit, a (cricket) bat introduced.

Delayed correction (Of group-work and class-work 1 and 2)

Gapfill
Students watch the full video and fill the gaps individually. Paircheck, feedback.

Follow-up activity
Elicit hold on a second, a bit unusual, how do you spell, it's as it sounds.
In pairs, students prepare short dialogues. They can, but don't have to, use the example sentences from the handout. Encourage them to joke. Then students role-play their dialogues.

Last edited:

wella

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thanks alot .

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I'm glad if it can help some of you.

I just to say, however, this isn't my thread.

I mean the whole purpose of this thread is that we can all share our teaching plans together. :up:

Present them in a way which is simple for other teachers to use them.:)

Wouldn't it be awesome if we all shared what we've discovered/done, what we've tested in our classrooms and what turned out to be great material?:up:

I hope some of you, who are reading this, will participate in this little project!:):-D

Excellent, Noego! Incidentally, may I ask if you have any worksheets for
ARTICLES with explanations/answers other than those provided in Usingenglish.com?

KateKrav

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Latvian, Lettish
Home Country
Latvia
Current Location
Canada
Sharing St Valentine's Day worksheet

Hi all,
As I know that teachers are really busy and tend to do many things at the last minute... ;-) I'd like to share a worksheet I made recently on the St Valentine's Day.
It includes a reading text (compiled by me), pre-reading tasks, vocabulary exercises, comprehension questions and a creative task. Of course, you can add more of your own!
You can download the .doc print-out (3 pages) from englishville.org - go to "For teachers", Lesoon Plans section, there are also few useful blank syllabus forms (if you need them).
Have a nice day everyone! :-D

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi dear Noego
I liked it and for sure I'll participate in that project, so please let me know if there's a place that we can share our ideas.
Good luck!

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
I would be happy to know about these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.