Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Can Adverb modify noun?

    Some teachers said that Adverb can modify noun?

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    Normally, adjectives modify nouns, but there are occasional examples where they modify nouns and pronouns.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970

    Re: Can Adverb modify noun?

    Quote Originally Posted by rath bun
    Some teachers said that Adverb can modify noun?
    Gerunds, also called verbal nouns, can be modified by adverbs, like this,

    Eating quickly will give you indigestion.

    All the best,

  4. #4
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    God point.

    But they can also be modified by adjectives- Heavy smoking causes cancer.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    God point.

    But they can also be modified by adjectives- Heavy smoking causes cancer.
    verbal noun is a keeper then. :D

  6. #6
    Andy Guest
    "Very" is usually classified as an adverb, but it can modify nouns in expressions such as, "the very beginning, middle or end." I think it becomes an adjective here, though.

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    24,562
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    "Very" is usually classified as an adverb, but it can modify nouns in expressions such as, "the very beginning, middle or end." I think it becomes an adjective here, though.
    Yes. "Very" is an adjective there. It is unusual to have an adverb modify a noun. It is possible with a gerund, because it keeps many of its verb characteristics. It is also possibly with nouns that are formed from adjectives.

  8. #8
    japanjapan is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    151

    Re: Can Adverb modify noun?

    Quote Originally Posted by rath bun
    Some teachers said that Adverb can modify noun?
    I happen to know this question, let me try.

    Adverb can modify noun, but it has to be put behind the noun.

    The typical example is this :

    Look at the people there, they are laughing.

    the word "there" is an adverb, it modifies "people", but it has to be put behind "people".

    That's my opinion.

  9. #9
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,147
    Some would argue that it is an adjective in your example. Have a look at the adjective part in the Dictionary.com definition:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=there

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970

    Re: Can Adverb modify noun?

    Quote Originally Posted by japanjapan
    Quote Originally Posted by rath bun
    Some teachers said that Adverb can modify noun?
    I happen to know this question, let me try.

    Adverb can modify noun, but it has to be put behind the noun.

    The typical example is this :

    Look at the people there, they are laughing.

    the word "there" is an adverb, it modifies "people", but it has to be put behind "people".

    That's my opinion.
    Good memory! :D

    Look at the people (who are standing over) there.

    In this case, there answers the question "Where?" so its function is that of an adverb. It's also part of an omitted relative clause which modifies the noun people. In other words, it's an adverb that's part of an adjectival phrase.

    All the best,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •