Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #1

    Question Use of "each"

    "The method A and the method B each have a serious weakness."

    This sentence has, I reckon, more than one mistakes. First, "each" should not be put where it was, and if one decides to use "each", it should be accompanied by a verb in a singular form (so "has" instead of have"). So the sentence may be paraphrased as:
    "Both method A and B have a serious weakness", or
    "Each of the methods A and B has a serious weakness",
    or something like that.

    Please evaluate my opinion.

    Thanks,
    Nyggus


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 10
    #2

    Re: Use of "each"

    i am really sorry.i am a new user here,i cannot help you in this regard,and i ineed need your help.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #3

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilyas khan View Post
    i am really sorry.i am a new user here,i cannot help you in this regard,and i ineed need your help.
    Hi Ilyas Khan! Welcome to the forum!


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #4

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "The method A and the method B each have a serious weakness."

    This sentence has, I reckon, more than one mistakes. First, "each" should not be put where it was, and if one decides to use "each", it should be accompanied by a verb in a singular form (so "has" instead of have"). So the sentence may be paraphrased as:
    "Both method A and B have a serious weakness", or
    "Each of the methods A and B has a serious weakness",
    or something like that.

    Please evaluate my opinion.

    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    I would say

    "Each method, A or B, has a serious weakness."

  1. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    #5

    Re: Use of "each"

    When I was writing my dissertation, I'd written many times as you did, like "Both method A and B have a serious weakness". But my proofreader converted all "have"s to has. So, I guess this way of writing(with has) can be more academic or formal.


    (neither a NES, nor a teacher)


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 10
    #6

    Re: Use of "each"

    THANKS.still i didnt get the question?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #7

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by LwyrFirat View Post
    When I was writing my dissertation, I'd written many times as you did, like "Both method A and B have a serious weakness". But my proofreader converted all "have"s to has. So, I guess this way of writing(with has) can be more academic or formal.


    (neither a NES, nor a teacher)

    Both + has

  2. LwyrFirat's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 343
    #8

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Both + has
    Sorry sorry, they were without both,but I ws talking about two things. you are right(teachers don't miss anyting)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #9

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    I would say

    "Each method, A or B, has a serious weakness."
    And shouldn't it be "A and B"? Both of them have a weakness, not one of them; each says that, so why "or"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #10

    Re: Use of "each"

    Quote Originally Posted by ilyas khan View Post
    THANKS.still i didnt get the question?
    What do you mean?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •