Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #1

    Question Usage of"and"

    There's a proverb " Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
    Question: Should the verb "make" be singular or plural? If it should be singular, why?Because the subjects of the verb i.e. "Earlt to bed = one thing, early to rise = one thing" are actually two things. Aren't they? If there's another grammatical rule, I may not know, in which we take two things joined by "and" as one thing, kindly explain it to me. It' been troubling me for ages.
    Question 2: Is the sentence "Ball be thrown and caught by the students." right when writing instruction for the teacher who is going to take the period of physical education.Remember that the teacher will throw the ball and student will catch it. Isn't this subjunctive? Can we use this form here as an imperative sentence? Please help.
    Regards!


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: Usage of"and"

    Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    There's a proverb " Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.
    Question: Should the verb "make" be singular or plural? If it should be singular, why?Because the subjects of the verb i.e. "Earlt to bed = one thing, early to rise = one thing" are actually two things. Aren't they? If there's another grammatical rule, I may not know, in which we take two things joined by "and" as one thing, kindly explain it to me. It' been troubling me for ages. The two things together are what makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. The combined actions of early retiring and early rising.

    Question 2: Is the sentence "Ball be thrown and caught by the students." right when writing an instruction for the teacher who is going to take the period of physical education.Remember that the teacher will throw the ball and student will catch it. Isn't this subjunctive? Can we use this form here as an imperative sentence? Please help. I would have phrased it "Ball to be thrown for the students to catch".
    Regards!
    .

  2. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #3

    Re: Usage of"and"

    Alternatively, early to bed and early to rise is another way of saying get a good night's rest, and it's exactly that one thing, a good night's rest, that makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.

    1a. Ball be thrown ungrammatical
    1b. Ball is thrown passive
    1c. Throw ball imperative

    Try also, T throws ball; Ss catch it. (T = teacher; Ss = students)

  3. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #4

    Question Re: Usage of"and"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    .
    The two things together are what makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. The combined actions of early retiring and early rising.

    If two things together makes one thing happen, so what about Two and two make four? Shouldn't that be makes?
    Please give me some clues on how to understand when two things are taken as one thing. Give me enough examples too.
    Last edited by Dawood Usmani; 01-Oct-2007 at 08:24. Reason: Not know how to use this site properly

  4. Soup's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,882
    #5

    Re: Usage of"and"

    Quote Originally Posted by dawoodusmani View Post
    Two and two make four? Shouldn't that be makes?
    If the subject is singular, then use a singular verb. If the subject is plural, use a plural verb. The sentence you gave is an example of ellipsis. That's when a word or phrase is left out:

    Plural
    (The numbers) two and two make four. (plural subject)

    Singular
    (Adding the numbers) two and two makes four. (singular subject)

  5. Dawood Usmani's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 603
    #6

    Re: Usage of"and"

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    If the subject is singular, then use a singular verb. If the subject is plural, use a plural verb. The sentence you gave is an example of ellipsis. That's when a word or phrase is left out:

    Plural
    (The numbers) two and two make four. (plural subject)

    Singular
    (Adding the numbers) two and two makes four. (singular subject)
    Thanks very much Soup. It's helped me a lot but it seems difficult to sense when a subject is singular or when it's plural specially joined by " AND" because I'm not a native speaker. Well I'll practise hard in this regard.
    Always be happy and smile!

Similar Threads

  1. Usage of is been--- posted by ankurkalohia
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jul-2007, 18:21
  2. Re: Usage of certain very common words
    By Dinesh Boudh in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2007, 21:23
  3. Equivalent words and usage of BE "bloody" in AE?
    By amigo in forum English Slang
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2005, 10:00
  4. usage and use
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2004, 04:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •