1. creativewriter

Incorporating Dialogue

Currently writing a short story for a creative writing class. I'm having a little difficulty on how to properly incorporate dialogue. Basically, I am not sure whether each piece of dialogue should be separated from the paragraph itself. I've seen it done this way, but I want to be sure that's the proper way of going about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Re: Incorporating Dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by creativewriter View Post
    Currently writing a short story for a creative writing class. I'm having a little difficulty on how to properly incorporate dialogue. Basically, I am not sure whether each piece of dialogue should be separated from the paragraph itself. I've seen it done this way, but I want to be sure that's the proper way of going about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Usually dialog is placed in a separate paragraph for each speaker.

However I don't see a problem with writing dialog at the beginning of a paragraph. for example:

"I am scared." said Johnny as he opened the door to the spooky old house. He stared down a dusty hallway, not wanting to set inside.

"Go on inside...this place isn't haunted. You are such a wimp!" taunted Billy.

I wouldn't end a paragraph with dialog though. I would only start a paragraph. Also every new speaker would have a new paragraph, no matter how little they say.

Re: Incorporating Dialogue

Thank-you, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I went ahead and wrote the story. Wasn't sure if short stories had different rules od dialogue.