Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 433
    #1

    Has been?

    Hi,
    If someone has taken their exams and the result has been out, is it correct to say "What has been your result?"?

    P.S. please let me know if you have a better and more natural sentence than this, but please do tell me if this is correct.

    Great regards, Asad


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #2

    Re: Has been?

    Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Hi,
    If someone has taken their exams and the result has been out, is it correct to say "What has been your result?"?

    P.S. please let me know if you have a better and more natural sentence than this, but please do tell me if this is correct.

    Great regards, Asad
    If someone has taken their exams and the result has been posted....

    You would say

    1) "What is your result?"
    or
    2) "What was your result??"

    The difference would be when you talked to the person.

    If you were standing in front of the notice of the exam results, you would use 1).
    If you were talking to someone away from the posted results, you would say 2).


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 433
    #3

    Re: Has been?

    So many thanks, Naamplao.

    And what if I am talking to someone on the phone.

  1. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #4

    Re: Has been?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    If someone has taken their exams and the result has been posted....

    You would say

    1) "What is your result?"
    or
    2) "What was your result??"

    The difference would be when you talked to the person.

    If you were standing in front of the notice of the exam results, you would use 1).
    If you were talking to someone away from the posted results, you would say 2).
    Then Id rather use: Whats your result? for both instances


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #5

    Re: Has been?

    Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Hi,
    If someone has taken their exams and the result has been out, is it correct to say "What has been your result?"?

    P.S. please let me know if you have a better and more natural sentence than this, but please do tell me if this is correct.

    Great regards, Asad


    "What has been your result?" sounds odd, Asad. Actually, even 'result' sounds odd to me. maybe it's used in BrE.

    What was your mark/score? OR What [mark] did you get on the test/exam?

  2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1
    #6

    Re: Has been?

    dear Asad Hussain,

    In this case i think, what is your result? willbe used bcz he is inquiring the result in present tense, & if there the result had been announced long time ago then what was your result will be used.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #7

    Re: Has been?

    Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    So many thanks, Naamplao.

    And what if I am talking to someone on the phone.
    For speaking English you might say

    "Hey Assad, how did you do on the exam?"


    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 433
    #8

    Re: Has been?

    Thanks a lot for the response, guys.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •