meaning

Hi,

could you please explain the meaning of the highlighted part of the following sentence:

Construction of the stand shall be followed by a joint inspection of the stand and stand acceptance. After this, it is only possible to work for services towards the end-client.

Thank you very much!

Hanka

Re: meaning

It doesn't make a great deal of sense, and I am trying to extrapolate from similar situations setting up stands.

I think it means that after the stand has been inspected and passed as correctly constructed, then service works such as electrical supplies, shelving, furnishings and flooring can be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

could you please explain the meaning of the highlighted part of the following sentence:

Construction of the stand shall be followed by a joint inspection of the stand and stand acceptance. After this, it is only possible to work for services towards the end-client.

Thank you very much!

Hanka
    This is a very poorly worded English sentence. Don't feel bad about no understanding it...I don't either.

followed by a joint inspection of the stand

The above phrase could have two meanings as it is written.

(probable meaning) - An inspection of the joints in the stand looking for a weakness.
    (possible meaning) - An inspection is to be made with an inspector together with the person who made the stand to see if the stand is made properly. Joint means together sometimes.

work for services towards the end-client.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that this phrase means that the finished stand can only be sent to the customer after the previous instructions have been completed. For example, no packaging or arrangements for shipping can be done until the inspection is finished.

That is my guess, but it is only a guess. The instructions are badly written.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi,

Thank you very much!

Hanka
    I agree that it's unclear - the writer has only him/herself to blame for any failure to communicate! One can discern a meaning in the first sentence, and make allowance for the unnecessarily gnomic abstract noun atrocity at the end. But I'm flummoxed by the second sentence; as a working assumption, I guessed that 'end-client' might mean 'our client's clients' [i.e. people who go to the exhibition, the general public] - but this assumption leads nowhere...

b

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I agree that it's unclear - the writer has only him/herself to blame for any failure to communicate! One can discern a meaning in the first sentence, and make allowance for the unnecessarily gnomic abstract noun atrocity at the end. But I'm flummoxed by the second sentence; as a working assumption, I guessed that 'end-client' might mean 'our client's clients' [i.e. people who go to the exhibition, the general public] - but this assumption leads nowhere...

b
    end-client means the ultimate destination (client). It is confusing and not used very much, if at all. It is much like the word end-user in computer-speak meaning the actual people who will use the program.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    end-client means the ultimate destination (client). It is confusing and not used very much, if at all. It is much like the word end-user in computer-speak meaning the actual people who will use the program.
    Yes - I'm acquainted with that meaning, and may even have been guilty of using 'end-user' at some time in a moment of weakness - . I was paying the writer the (obviously unmerited) compliment of assuming that "end-client" was somehow different from client in the quoted context.

b

The most important consideration for meaning in language is context context context and last but not least context. Did I mention context?

Of course, ten people could have 20 or 30 different ideas as to the meaning. We need more, what was that word, mmmmmm, ... ah yes, context.

A shot in the proverbial dark.

After construction of the stand there is to be an inspection made by at least two parties, followed by what is being assumed will follow, the acceptance of the stand as being properly built. After that [the actual query] the people involved in construction will no longer have that option. They will only be allowed to provide servicing.

Then again, I may well be completely out to lunch on the intended meaning.

The jargon used by certain groups is the vocabulary of and for that group. The only thing that you can do is learn it. We're not about to get doctors, engineers or farmers to change the meanings of words that to the rest of us is Greek.