• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: question

me
    Anyone with questions please contact Tim or me.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Speakers use the pronoun myself to mean me, personally, which is why you'll come across constructs like e.g., Please contact / come see Tom or myself (i.e., me, personally). Whether it's considered correct or not depends on who's judging or assessing your language skills. In terms of Standard English, the kind used in essays, on exams, and in interviews where language is being assessed, an object pronoun is expected (i.e., contact us / Tom or me) because it follows the traditional rules of English.

Your question provides yet another example of where semantics (meaning) is changing the rules of English grammar.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I don't know if people use "myself" to mean 'me personally', but why should "myself'' mean 'me personally' any more than ''me'' does.
    Reflexive pronouns like ''myself'' are correctly used when they refer back to a previous noun or pronoun.

I made myself a sandwich.
    Tom hurt himself playing soccer.
    After the game, the players were very proud of themselves.

If you want to use good English, don't say things like 'Please contact Tim or myself.'

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    If you want to use good English, don't say things like 'Please contact Tim or myself.'
    I'm not so sure these speakers would agree with you there:

US Securites and Exchange Commission letter
    Staff Letters Regarding Auditing Standards for Financial Statements of Insurance Company Depositors of Variable Insurance Products
    If you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact ... at ... or myself at ...

another US government letter
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/ceq/foia/i...-one/hc_75.pdf
    Please contact Reid or myself ...

TERC Cananda
    If interested in acting in this capacity, please contact our TERC Canada interior assessor manager or myself.

(Canada) University of Waterloo Office of Reseach Ethics: sample cover letter SAMPLE B6: COVER LETTER FOR TWO STAGE PROJECT: MAIL-OUT QUESTIONNAIRE AND INTERVIEWS
    If after receiving this letter, you have any questions about this study, or would like additional information to assist you in reaching a decision about participating, please feel free to contact Professor (insert name of Professor) at ... (insert ext.), or myself, (insert name of student researcher), at (insert telephone number) or e-mail at (insert email address).

UK Cathedral notice

Cathedral Notices
    Please can you let ... or myself know whether ...

UK Horticultural Development Council

Horticultural Development Council
    Please contact ... or myself ... with any of your comments.
    UK Dental school

Dental School: Frequently Asked Questions
    ... contact ... at: ... or myself at: ...
    Last edited by Soup; 02-Oct-2007 at 11:33.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Soup
    All you have done is posted several examples of improper use of reflexive pronouns. Are you advocating incorrect use?

Soup
    All you have done is posted several examples of improper use of reflexive pronouns. Are you advocating incorrect use?
    I think she is posting the fact that using "myself" in this fashion is becoming common usage. She has already said that "me" is correct by standard English rules.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Soup

Are you advocating incorrect use?
    Not at all. There's a semantic extention here: myself (reflexive) is extended to myself (non-reflexive); e.g., contact John or myself;i.e, me, personally). It's different from reflexive myself; e.g., I did it by myself. Cf. the ungrammaticallty of ?I did it by myself, personally.

I agree with you, reflexive myself is ungrammatical in this context *contact John or myself, but non-reflexive myself isn't ungrammatical there. It carries a different meaning altogether. We know that because speakers from different areas in business, from governement to companies, are using myself in two different ways. Learners need to know that, especially because they will come and are coming across variations; e.g., contact John or me / contact John or myself, the latter of which is commonly used in business today. That's how native English speakers are using it. In two distinct ways.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I really am reluctant to prolong this discussion further, and hopefully this will be my last comment on this topic.
    1...Just because native speakers say something doesn't mean it is correct or worthy of being 'taught'. Obviously, even native speakers often use incorrect English.
    2...I am at a loss to know what the difference in meaning between ''contact me'' and ''contact myself'' is! If, as you claim, ''contact myself'' means 'contact me personally', why not just say the latter and make the meaning unequivocal. Otherwise people have to guess whether it is just bad English or is 'acceptable English' but with a 'different' meaning. To me, it is just bad English with no merit at all.

The last word is yours! (hopefully)

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

I really am reluctant to prolong this discussion further, and hopefully this will be my last comment on this topic.
    In other words, you're ending your part in the discussion here. Fair enough. (I'd like to respond to the rest of your post, but now, given that you said you are not going to reply, there doesn't seem to be a reason to do so. )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast