1. Krishna_Raju

confusion in the two formats

Iam always confused with the usage of following two formats of structures.When to use which one iam really confused.Some times for me it appears like both the formats can be used,but if i observe the speakers of english they are using only one format.Is it that any thing iam missing from the usage point of view in the following two formates of the structures.

1)SUBJECT +is /are +past participle form of verb

2)SUBJECT + have/has been +past participle form of verb

Consider the following example.

Q)where is the coffee?

A1)cofee is kept on the table.

A2)cofee has been kept on the table.

For the above question i see in general only the answer A1.A2 is never heard at all.
    Is it the A2 way of telling is wrong.

Consider the another example

S1) Lot of movies are taken on this road.This is not the only first movie taken on this road.

S2)Lot of movies have been taken on this road.This is not the only first movie taken on this road.

I saw the S1 and S2 both being used.Thse S1 and S2 are similar to the A1 and A2 above.

So is it thet A1 and A2, and S1 and S2 formats can be used interchangebly?

Please answer my question basically from the point of usage of the above two formats.

Regards,
    Krishna

Re: confusion in the two formats

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_Raju View Post
    Iam always confused with the usage of following two formats of structures.When to use which one iam really confused.Some times for me it appears like both the formats can be used,but if i observe the speakers of english they are using only one format.Is it that any thing iam missing from the usage point of view in the following two formates of the structures.

1)SUBJECT +is /are +past participle form of verb

2)SUBJECT + have/has been +past participle form of verb

Consider the following example.

Q)where is the coffee?
    "I am going to make a pot of coffee now. Where is the coffee?" (..at this exact time. I don't care where the coffee may have been kept in the past.)

A1)cofee is kept on the table.
    "I always keep the coffee on the table. The table is the usual location for the coffee." (so this is a fine answer, as long as the coffee is indeed on the table."

A2)cofee has been kept on the table.
    "Well, in the past, the coffee was located on the table." (But maybe it is kept in a different place now.)

For the above question i see in general only the answer A1.A2 is never heard at all.
    Is it the A2 way of telling is wrong.

A2 is vague. It doesn't tell me where the coffee is. It tells me only that, at some time in the past, the table was the usual location of the coffee. It may be helpful as a suggestion for where to look for the coffee. If was kept there in the past, maybe it is still kept there.

Consider the another example

S1) Lot of movies are taken on this road.This is not the only first movie taken on this road.

S2)Lot of movies have been taken on this road.This is not the only first movie taken on this road.

There are a few minor errors here.

Usually, one would say "A lot of movies" or "A variety of movies" are taken on this road. Alternatively, one could say "Lots of movies (many movies) are taken on this road." Note that "Lots" is plural in this case.
    Note: A lot of (many) Americans think that "alot" is a single word! They use that incorrect word a lot. :)

As to the use of "are" vs "have been" - these are generally interchangable. However, if movies are no longer allowed on the road, then the usage would be the past tense - "have been."

b-The combination of "only first" would not be used unless the discussion was about filmmakers first movies, before they made any other movies. But it appears the discussion is about how many movies have been made on this road.
    I hope this helps.