1. Unregistered

If clause

Hi. I have a question regarding an if clause sentence. I would like to know if there are any differences between these sentences:

If a murder was committed with premeditation and deliberation, it is regarded as first degree murder.

If a murder is committed with premeditation and deliberation, it is regarded as first degree murder.

In a paper, I wrote the first sentence since I was thinking of the murder as a past event, but according to Swan, this sentence may have a present meaning because an if clause is used. A past tense combined with certain words, such as IF,may refer to the present. What do you think? In a any case, what sentence is preferable?

Thanks a lot!

Re: If clause

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi. I have a question regarding an if clause sentence. I would like to know if there are any differences between these sentences:

If a murder was committed with premeditation and deliberation, it is regarded as first degree murder.

If a murder is committed with premeditation and deliberation, it is regarded as first degree murder.

In a paper, I wrote the first sentence since I was thinking of the murder as a past event, but according to Swan, this sentence may have a present meaning because an if clause is used. A past tense combined with certain words, such as IF,may refer to the present. What do you think? In a any case, what sentence is preferable?

Thanks a lot!
    Neither is preferable, Unr, for we use language to express meaning and nuance.

When we use the past tense with 'if' it's only the PAST TENSE FORM. This form is used as a signal to a native speaker's brain that we are viewing the situation in a range than runs from more doubtful to completely counterfactual [= opposite to the facts]

For your examples, either works fine because the situation can be completely real/not doubtful at all and it can also be thought of as a completely theoretical event.

You can even use 'when' for this situation.

When a murder is committed with premeditation and deliberation, it is regarded as first degree murder.

REAL/Not doubtful --------More doubtful---------High doubt/opposite to fact

When -------------------If + present tense form--------If + past tense form