Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Re: Plural of the word - INFORMATION

Quote Originally Posted by wcoronel View Post
    "These/those data..." also sounded incorrrect to them. They feel that since "information" and "data" are already plural, they just need either "this" or "that."
    Are they right? I am very adamant about thinking that "These/Those information..." is grammatically correct.
    Hi wcoronel
    "These/Those information..." is wrong. The word information is always grammatically singular.
    You can only use these and those with plural nouns.
    The word data can be used as both a singular and a plural noun. I'd say data is probably treated more often as a mass (singular) noun than as a plural noun.

Philly, thank you for the specific info on the nature of "information." I was very stubborn with my friends in not comprehending why "These/Those information are..." (oops, I forgot to put "are" in my previous posts -- plus I mistakenly put "is") is wrong.

This is going to be a difficult habit to break. I have always been saying "These/Those information are..." and I was wondering if there are other words that can't be prefaced with "These/Those ___ are..."?

VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Philly, thank you for the specific info on the nature of "information." I was very stubborn with my friends in not comprehending why "These/Those information are..." (oops, I forgot to put "are" in my previous posts -- plus I mistakenly put "is") is wrong.

This is going to be a difficult habit to break. I have always been saying "These/Those information are..." and I was wondering if there are other words that can't be prefaced with "These/Those ___ are..."?
    No singular noun can fit in These/Those ___ are...
    Only plural nouns can go there.
    For singular nouns use. This/that ____ is....
    That includes "information".

In law, the word "information" is an official document containing a criminal charge presented, usually by the prosecuting officers of the state, without the interposition of a grand jury. This use of the word may be pluralized.

3. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • China

Certain uncountable nouns can be both singular and plural, some with different meanings.
    For example: rain, sugar, experience.
    His experiences from his travels are something unforgettable.

Collective nouns can be both singular or plural, depending on whether we are referring to the group or its members.
    Our team is the best in the country.
    Our team are putting on their best boots.

If the information is not homogeneous then you may want to use "these" and "those" to separate the information. The way to do that was suggested earlier and that was to use "bits" or "pieces" of information

These bits of information go to John, while those pieces of information should be sent to Jim.

Of course you could use "this and that" information instead.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2