Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
And he held out his arms to all us young sinners there on the mourner’s bench.(from a Chinese magazine)My question is after" all", can "of" be omitted?Thanks a lot!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And he held out his arms to all us young sinners there on the mourner’s bench.(from a Chinese magazine)My question is after" all", can "of" be omitted?Thanks a lot!
There's no 'of' after 'all' to be omitted in your example.
You mean, "Shouldn't there by an 'of' after 'all'?", or "Can you omit 'of' from 'all of us'?"
"All us sinners" sounds very colloquial, and might be representing the speech of a regional dialect.

I'd definitely suggest adding 'of' after 'all' in your example, or in the case of "all of us", leaving it there.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's no 'of' after 'all' to be omitted in your example.
You mean, "Shouldn't there by an 'of' after 'all'?", or "Can you omit 'of' from 'all of us'?"
"All us sinners" sounds very colloquial, and might be representing the speech of a regional dialect.

I'd definitely suggest adding 'of' after 'all' in your example, or in the case of "all of us", leaving it there.
accepting your view,Thanks!

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a feeling that the phrase 'all us young sinners' comes from a childrens' hymn (not that I know of such a hymn - it just has the right slightly archaic ring).

b

PS ... and the right Sunday school belief that until you emerged from the Confessional Box for the first time, with a whiter than white soul, your soul just got blacker and blacker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.