doubting a few sentences

Hi. First of all let me tell you that I am happy to post in here. It's great to receive help from others when you need some, and I also like to help others in my own area (which is programming).

Anyway, here's a few sentences that I doubt. Could you please tell me if they seem acceptable (and understandable) to you? Specific doubts have been italicized to help you help me.

Thanks in advance.

1. "They walked down a hallway and took a seat in the recpetion area" (context: a medical center, a doctor's office etc.) Could reception area be understood as a waiting room?

2. stop + inf. or -ing? Exemple: "You have to stop doing that" vs. "You have to stop to do that". First option seems much more natural to me. Is there a general rule for verbs following "to start" and "to stop"?

3. A car related question: "She drove her car to a halt, waited for a moment, then turned the engine off."

4. (Context: someone facing a door) "She was about to knock, but she hold it a moment, then knocked. Her friend opened the door and let her in. She moved to the only chair in/of the room."

5. (Context: someone being judged and about to be sent back to prison) "I don't want to go back in/inside".

:)

Re: doubting a few sentences

Quote Originally Posted by tetsuo blather View Post
    Hi. First of all let me tell you that I am happy to post in here. It's great to receive help from others when you need some, and I also like to help others in my own area (which is programming).

Anyway, here's a few sentences that I doubt. Could you please tell me if they seem acceptable (and understandable) to you? Specific doubts have been italicized to help you help me.

Thanks in advance.

1. "They walked down a hallway and took a seat in the recpetion area" (context: a medical center, a doctor's office etc.) Could reception area be understood as a waiting room? Yes, as long as there is a receptionist to greet you in the same room. If there is just a room full of chairs and magazines then it is just a waiting room.

2. stop + inf. or -ing? Exemple: "You have to stop doing that" vs. "You have to stop to do that". First option seems much more natural to me. Is there a general rule for verbs following "to start" and "to stop"? These are not verbs these are gerunds and infinitives which act as nouns. Sometimes they can both be used with no change of meaning, sometimes there is a different meaning between them

for example:
    You have to stop doing that means you are ordering someone to stop.

You have to stop to do that means you must stop (walking, driving a car...) before something can be done.

3. A car related question: "She drove her car to a halt, waited for a moment, then turned the engine off."

4. (Context: someone facing a door) "She was about to knock, but she hold it a moment, then knocked. Her friend opened the door and let her in. She moved to the only chair in/of the room." waited for a moment is better than held it a moment

5. (Context: someone being judged and about to be sent back to prison) "I don't want to go back in/inside".

Thanks for your reply.
    The words in red are mistakes, the word in blue are suggestions, which doesn't mean that the other option is a mistake, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by tetsuo blather View Post
    Thanks for your reply.
    The words in red are mistakes, the word in blue are suggestions, which doesn't mean that the other option is a mistake, correct?

Where there was an option and I highlighted one in Blue it meant that was the correct one and the other was not correct....sorry for the confusion.

in this case

She was about to knock, but she waited for a moment , then knocked. Her friend opened the door and let her in. She moved to the only chair in the room.

Is the correct answer.