• Post Thanks / Like

Request for advice

Hello,

in reading a book I came upon a strange phrase I am not sure I understand exactly. It is as follows:

"Now Helion leaned her arm on the couch of the morning and lifted her gold brow from the pillow of blue and smiled; and Helion said:
    I am fulfilled which am that Elas which is the eye and the hand and that Elamas which is the ear and the mouth and vision is upon me."

My problem is with the word construction "I am fulfilled which am that" which sounds to me like some pseudo-archaism (which is suggested by using of other oldfashioned words like Behold etc.) and it is repeated in the chapter again:

"But I remain which am that mingling, the flame of the flame, forever burning until I be consumed and the foot of the Slaker tread my ashes and his foot stamp out the embers of my eternity."

I also do not quite understand the using of the word "moon" in the sentence mentioned down below.

"With desire perhaps, I do not know, over and over again I would change the manner of word with which I planned to greet her. Perhaps desire; but tonight the moon was in my veins."

Could the word "moon" mean a passion?

Thank You for any suggestion.

Miki

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Request for advice

I think you can take it that this is a pseudo-archaism used by an author who is trying to make the dialogue sound as if it were ancient.

As to "moon", it is difficult to be sure without the full context [the previous material in the chapter], but it sounds more as it the speaker is saying that he is lacking in passion on this occasion.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank You very much for Your help, Anglika; now I can understand it more clearly.

Hi

Miki

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraph View Post
    Hello,

in reading a book I came upon a strange phrase I am not sure I understand exactly. It is as follows:

"Now Helion leaned her arm on the couch of the morning and lifted her gold brow from the pillow of blue and smiled; and Helion said:
    I am fulfilled which am that Elas which is the eye and the hand and that Elamas which is the ear and the mouth and vision is upon me."

My problem is with the word construction "I am fulfilled which am that" which sounds to me like some pseudo-archaism (which is suggested by using of other oldfashioned words like Behold etc.) and it is repeated in the chapter again:

"But I remain which am that mingling, the flame of the flame, forever burning until I be consumed and the foot of the Slaker tread my ashes and his foot stamp out the embers of my eternity."

I also do not quite understand the using of the word "moon" in the sentence mentioned down below.

"With desire perhaps, I do not know, over and over again I would change the manner of word with which I planned to greet her. Perhaps desire; but tonight the moon was in my veins."

Could the word "moon" mean a passion?

Thank You for any suggestion.

Miki
    It sounds to me that you are reading some kind of fantasy novel where the language of it is deliberately modified to make it sound old....but really isn't.

"I am fulfilled which ( I ) am that"

I think an "I" is missing from the phrase which makes sense when I add it.

"I am fulfilled" means I am satisfied spiritually or sexually...the rest of this phrase seems to say it is true.

As far as having the "moon" in ones veins, the moon is reputed to have strange effects on some people. For example in folklore some people change into werewolves at the sight of a full moon. So perhaps it is supposed to mean the person was crazy.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, Naamplao, Your explanation makes the whole thing absolutely clear to me.

Have a nice day.

Miki