• Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

reading glasses, flooding etc.

Dear teachers,

I have five questions to ask:

No.1
    Without wearing my reading glasses I can not clearly see things at a distance. Here does 'reading glasses ' means 'glasses' or does it mean a type of glasses people only wear when they read books?

No.2
    Fortunately, the person hit by the bike was not seriously hurt.
    Could you please explain if I can replace 'Fortunately' with 'Lukily'?

No.3
    The heavy rains they had last summer brought about serious flooding.
    Could you explain the difference between 'flood' and 'flooding'?

No.4
    I found 'journey' and 'travel' confusing. The following is from my dictionary
    1. journey: 'the act of travelling from one place to another, especially in a vehicle.
    2. travel:the act of travelling, esp. to distant places
    The only differences I can is 'vehicle' and distance.
    Could you please explain to me if I can replace the word 'travel' with 'journey' in the following sentence:
    She enjoys painting, art, and travel.

No.5
    He said that travelling by bus was an excellent way to test the road.
    I find 'way 'and 'method' confusing. Can I replace 'way' with 'method'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Last edited by jiang; 29-Sep-2009 at 00:08.

Re: reading glasses, flooding etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang View Post
    Dear teachers,

I have five questions to ask:

No.1
    Without wearing my reading glasses I can not clearly see things at a distance. Here 'reading glasses ' imply means 'glasses' or does it mean a type of glasses people only wear when they read books? The second - spectacles designed for close work

No.2
    Fortunately, the person hit by the bike was not seriously hurt.
    Could you please explain if I can replace 'Fortunately' with 'Luckily'? Yes, you can

No.3
    The heavy rains they had last summer brought about serious flooding.
    Could you explain the difference between 'flood' and 'flooding'? "floods" are the result of flooding - the process by which water spreads over the land. You could say "resulted in serious floods" instead.

No.4
    I found 'journey' and 'travel' confusing. The following is from my dictionary
    1. journey: 'the act of travelling from one place to another, especially in a vehicle.
    2. travel:the act of travelling, esp. to distant places
    The only differences I can is 'vehicle' and distance.
    Could you please explain to me if I can replace the word 'travel' with 'journey' in the following sentence:
    She enjoys painting, art, and travel. Not really. A journey is a one-off event, whereas "travel" is the action of making journeys.

No.5
    He said that travelling by bus was an excellent way to test the road.
    I find 'way 'and 'method' confusing. Can I replace 'way' with 'method'? Not really. "Method" is a particular way of doing something - it can be used in this way: "His method of testing the road was to travel along it by bus"

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Anglika,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand No.2, No.3 and No.5.

No.1
    'spectacles designed for close work'. Is it also translated as 'presbyopic glasses' ? That means glasses for old people when they can't read without the glasses?

No.4
    'A journey is a one-off event, whereas "travel" is the action of making journeys.'
    So 'travel' means to travel to a certain place then stay there for one or two days then to go to another place etc. Is that right?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Presbyopia (I'm not sure I spelled that right) is what we call "far sightedness" and tends to start appearing around the age of 40. (I'm not ready to say I'm old yet.) However, I have never seen "presbyopic glasses" before - only "reading glasses."

If you are far sighted, it mean you can't see things clearly that are very close to you, like your needlework or the book you are reading. To say that things in the distance are not clear without your reading glasses is illogical - reading glasses only help you with what is very close.

"Travel" is the activity. You don't have to keep moving from place to play. I can say "I enjoy travel" as a hobby, but that might mean I take only one trip to one place each year. Each one of those trips is a journey, but take altogether, the activity is travel.

Did that help at all?

[not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Barb_D,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand 'travel' now.
    I found 'presbyopic glasses' in my Chinese-English dictionary. According to Chinese it means 'laohuayan' . That is the kind of person you described. They can't see words in a book or newpaper if they don't wear glasses. It is the same case with those people who are short sighted. When they grow around the age of 40 or 50 they have to take off their glasses when they read a book or newspaper. So I think 'presbyopic glasses' must be a term that is not very well transltated into Chinese. From now on I shall use the term 'reading glasses'.

Best wishes,

Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Presbyopia (I'm not sure I spelled that right) is what we call "far sightedness" and tends to start appearing around the age of 40. (I'm not ready to say I'm old yet.) However, I have never seen "presbyopic glasses" before - only "reading glasses."

If you are far sighted, it mean you can't see things clearly that are very close to you, like your needlework or the book you are reading. To say that things in the distance are not clear without your reading glasses is illogical - reading glasses only help you with what is very close.

"Travel" is the activity. You don't have to keep moving from place to play. I can say "I enjoy travel" as a hobby, but that might mean I take only one trip to one place each year. Each one of those trips is a journey, but take altogether, the activity is travel.

Did that help at all?

[not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Barb_D,

I am sorry I forgot one thing:

I understand 'travel' now. But I am confused by your explanation 'Each one of those trips is a journey'. According to my dictionary trip means 'a journey to a plce and back again'. Do you mean 'trip' and 'journey' mean the same?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Did that help at all?

[not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Well, for me, there is no difference between "journey" and "trip." Some people may find a difference.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Dear Barb_D,

Thank you very much for your reply. Now I see.

Jiang
    Well, for me, there is no difference between "journey" and "trip." Some people may find a difference.

And unless you are writing a scientific paper, keep to "reading glasses"