• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: gnat's eyebrow

gnat (n.) a colloquial name for a small insect. Imagine how tiny its eyebrow is!

To analyze something down to its smallest part. To investigate something thoroughly.
    Last edited by Soup; 05-Oct-2007 at 04:20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Thanks to that Soup! It´s clear now, and seems that you´ve answered my questions so well to a gnat´s eyebrow.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    gnat (n.) a colloquial name for a small insect. Imagine how tiny its eyebrow is!

To analyze something down to its smallest part. To investigate something thoroughly.
    I've met the phrase 'gnat's whisker' in the same sense. Perhaps one is derived from the other. In fact 'gnat's' is commonly (colloquially) used to refer to a very small version of any noun - even an abstract noun. For example, in the radio program I'm sorry I haven't a clue Humphrey Lyttleton often uses the expression 'a gnat's crotchet' to mean a very slight difference between a contestant's singing and the tempo of a recorded song.

b

PS I've found a link to that panel game: BBC - h2g2 - I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue - the Radio Series . Scroll down to "Pick Up Song".
    Last edited by BobK; 05-Oct-2007 at 12:46. Reason: Added PS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I've met the phrase 'gnat's whisker' in the same sense. Perhaps one is derived from the other. In fact 'gnat's' is commonly (colloquially) used to refer to a very small version of any noun - even an abstract noun. For example, in the radio program I'm sorry I haven't a clue Humphrey Lyttleton often uses the expression 'a gnat's crotchet' to mean a very slight difference between a contestant's singing and the tempo of a recorded song.

b

PS I've found a link to that panel game: BBC - h2g2 - I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue - the Radio Series . Scroll down to "Pick Up Song".
    That ("gnat's crotchet") isn't idiomatic - I hope no one thought different, but you never know... . I only mentioned it to show how the words gnat's can be used* even to qualify abstract nouns.

b

PS * In a jocular context, that is.
    Last edited by BobK; 10-Oct-2007 at 11:33. Reason: Added PS