• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Smile Confusions in Mr. Ms. Mrs. etc!

I am very thankful one of your moderator who has replied me earlier. Now I have a Question that:

I am confused in using Mr. Ms. Mrs. Miss. and so many others. I know the difference between Mr. and Miss but some others like Mrs. or Miss where should we use them kindly guide me.

Another confusion matter is that when we end our applications or requests we write Yours or Your's obediently, Yours Sincerely, Yours faithfully, or etc. Kindly guide me where should we use them appropriately while drafting a letter and apostrophe s is needed in Your or not. Kindly guide me I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Farhaj.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Talking Re: Confusions in Mr. Ms. Mrs. etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Farhaj View Post
    I am very thankful one of your moderator who has replied me earlier. Now I have a Question that:

I am confused in using Mr. Ms. Mrs. Miss. and so many others. I know the difference between Mr. and Miss but some others like Mrs. or Miss where should we use them kindly guide me.

Another confusion matter is that when we end our applications or requests we write Yours or Your's obediently, Yours Sincerely, Yours faithfully, or etc. Kindly guide me where should we use them appropriately while drafting a letter and apostrophe s is needed in Your or not. Kindly guide me I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Farhaj.
    Answer 1- Mrs. a title used before the family name or full name of a married woman who has no other title:
    Mrs Wood/Mrs Jean Wood
    [as form of address] Hello, Mrs Grant, how are you today?

Mr. a title used before the family name or full name of a man ( both married or unmarried) who has no other title, or when addressing a man who holds a particular official position:
    Mr Jones/Mr David Jones
    [as form of address] Good afternoon, Mr Dawson.
    We're looking for a Mr (= a man called) George Smith.
    It's an honour to have you here today, Mr President.

Ms. a title used before the family name or the full name of a woman, whether she is married or not:(It's normally used to avoid the confusion when adressing a female whether she is married on not)
    Ms Hill/Ms Paula Hill
    [as form of address] What can I do for you, Ms Wood?

Miss a title or form of address for a girl or a woman who has never been married:
    Dr White will see you now, Miss Carter.
    Miss Helena Lewis
    Answer 2- yours (faithfully, *sincerely, *truly)
    expressions written before one's signature at the end of a letter

ALso try! Respectfully yours
    a very formal and polite way of ending a letter

hope this helps!
    Pray for me Farhaj.

Last edited by Dawood Usmani; 05-Oct-2007 at 11:04.

Re: Confusions in Mr. Ms. Mrs. etc!

Quote Originally Posted by Farhaj View Post

Thanks

Farhaj.
    Mrs > the title for a woman who is/has been married. It is best to use this only if you are sure that she is a married woman.

Miss > The title for an unmarried woman.

Ms > a catch-all title that can be used [generally] without offence to a woman who is either married or unmarried. It is safer to use this in business communications unless you are told not to by the person.

At the end of the letter - If you have addressed the person by name [Dear Mr/Ms Smith], you end with Yours sincerely. If you did not have a name, and used the opening salutation "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam", you end with Yours faithfully.

No - you do not need an apostrophe in "Yours".In the UK it is certainly not common to use any other endings.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Re: Confusions in Mr. Ms. Mrs. etc!

Thank you both of them for giving me such a self-satified answers. I shall pray for both of you.

Farhaj.