to which

please,

what does to which mean? can i omit it? what else word can i use instead of relate? can i say connect? and is equivalent a adject here? can i use equal instead?

"for example, one graphic illustration to which children might readily relate is the estimate that rainforests are being destroyed at a rate equivalent to one thousand foodball fields every forty minutes-about the duration of a normal class period."

Re: to which

Quote Originally Posted by dogg View Post
    please,

what does to which mean? can i omit it? what else word can i use instead of relate? can i say connect? and is equivalent a adject here? can i use equal instead?

"for example, one graphic illustration to which children might readily relate is the estimate that rainforests are being destroyed at a rate equivalent to one thousand football fields every forty minutes-about the duration of a normal class period."
    To which is a prepositional phrase( along with children might readily relate) which modifies the noun, illustration. I suppose in speaking English it might be omitted but I don't think I would if I was writing this sentence.

Understand might replace relate in this sentence.

yes, equivalent modifies the noun rate

"for example, one graphic illustration to which children might readily relate is the estimate that rainforests are being destroyed at a rate equivalent to one thousand football fields every forty minutes-about the duration of a normal class period."

To which is a prepositional phrase( along with children might readily relate) which modifies the noun, illustration. I suppose in speaking English it might be omitted but I don't think I would if I was writing this sentence.

Understand might replace relate in this sentence.

yes, equivalent modifies the noun rate
    OK, I got the last one.
    what axactly to which mean in this sentence? does it modify the moun graphic, or children? can we put 'to which' some where else in the sentence, and express the same meaning?
    and 'relate', doesn't it mean it's easy for children to get in touch with, here? 'cause i comprehended it in this way, children might easily get connected with it.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dogg View Post
    OK, I got the last one.
    what axactly to which mean in this sentence? does it modify the moun graphic, or children? can we put 'to which' some where else in the sentence, and express the same meaning?
    and 'relate', doesn't it mean it's easy for children to get in touch with, here? 'cause i comprehended it in this way, children might easily get connected with it.

thank you.
    It is modifying "one graphic illustration" => an example of something that the children can relate to => something that the children understand.