Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #1

    Smile CJ rocks

    sayonara WCH!

    CJ rocks! hua hua hua hua!



    CJ won over WCH in a badminton game, and a fan said the above. It seems to me that CJ rocks is in contrast to WCH sucks. But what exactly do they mean? Thanks.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: CJ rocks

    In this context: rocks = are the best, are sublime, are great; sucks = is/are disappointing

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #3

    Re: CJ rocks

    Thanks, Anglika.


    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 1,153
    #4

    Re: CJ rocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In this context: rocks = are the best, are sublime, are great; sucks = is/are disappointing
    You should point out that this is slang and carries a bit more meaning that just rocks = great or especially sucks = disappointing.

    When rocks or sucks is said in this context, these words are stressed.

    You are extremely happy when you say, CJ rocks! (fist raised in the air in triumph)
    You are taunting when you say, WCH sucks. You are yelling this at someone who was a fan of WCH.

    If it was you who was a fan of WCH, you would say WCH sucked, to express extreme disgust in his performance. You would not say this if you were just disappointed.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: CJ rocks

    I see no necessity to point out it is slang. Angliholic is aware of the nature of slang, thus the question.

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    #6

    Smile Re: CJ rocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    You should point out that this is slang and carries a bit more meaning that just rocks = great or especially sucks = disappointing.

    When rocks or sucks is said in this context, these words are stressed.

    You are extremely happy when you say, CJ rocks! (fist raised in the air in triumph)
    You are taunting when you say, WCH sucks. You are yelling this at someone who was a fan of WCH.

    If it was you who was a fan of WCH, you would say WCH sucked, to express extreme disgust in his performance. You would not say this if you were just disappointed.
    Thanks, Naamplao, for the extra info.
    I learn a lot from you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I see no necessity to point out it is slang. Angliholic is aware of the nature of slang, thus the question.
    And thank you, Anglika.
    Yeah, I did know they're slang, the more info are welcome.

Similar Threads

  1. Idiom 'tough rocks for smb'
    By marenparn in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2007, 17:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •