• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Sth is used that...

1. Usually the procedure that employs the auxiliary information to improve the precision of estimation at all the stages of a survey is applied.
    2. Usually the procedure is applied that employs the auxiliary information to improve the precision of estimation at all the stages of a survey.

Which one is better (see the italics)?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

Re: Sth is used that...

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    1. Usually the procedure that employs the auxiliary information to improve the precision of estimation at all the stages of a survey is applied.
    2. Usually the procedure is applied that employs the auxiliary information to improve the precision of estimation at all the stages of a survey.

Which one is better (see the italics)?

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    The sentence #1 is the one I would use but it is awkward with the verb at the end of the sentence

Let us try to improve it.

Usually the procedure employing the auxiliary information is applied to improve the precision of the estimate at all stages of the survey.

This reads better. I added "the" instances shown in italics and removed the one before "stages".

This is a more balanced sentence and I don't think I changed the meaning at all.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Sth is used that...

Quote Originally Posted by Naamplao View Post
    The sentence #1 is the one I would use but it is awkward with the verb at the end of the sentence

Let us try to improve it.

Usually the procedure employing the auxiliary information is applied to improve the precision of the estimate at all stages of the survey.

This reads better. I added "the" instances shown in italics and removed the one before "stages".

This is a more balanced sentence and I don't think I changed the meaning at all.
    Thanks. You did not indeed change the meaning. I asked the question to learn if such constructions as in (1) and (2) are possible, since they both are common; not always paraphrasing a sentence may be that easy, so which construction should I prefer in such instances?

And an additional question: why did you add the the before the survey? The survey I am writing about is not specified, it is just "a survey", hence my hesitation (the hesitation I have too often when it comes to the usage of articles).

Thanks,
    Nyggus