• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

sanguine - Orwell

Dear teachers,

I wouldn't be so fastidious person as you will suppose am I. I met recently an ill-defined expression in the following passage of "1984" Part 1. "He moved over to the window: a smallish, trail figure, the meagerness of his body merely emphasized by the blue overalls which were the uniform of the party. His hair was very fair; his face naturally sanguine, his skin roughened by coarse soup and blunt rasor blades and the cold of the winter that had just ended."

I have doubts in the likelihood of the using the expression "his face naturally sanguine". I know some different meanings for "sanguine":cheerfully optimistic" or confident, ruddy faced, ruddy health, enthusiastic, buoyant, spirited. Those are words that do not match with Winston Smith and his country. There is a talking of cross-purposes. I couldn't see the properly using this adjective in perfect harmony with the rest adjectives in this passage: smallish, frail, meager, roughened,blunt, cold. There is an obvious discord.

I wander whether you could tell me your attitude and lend a hand to me to understand properly this passage.

V
    Last edited by vil; 09-Oct-2007 at 19:00.

Re: sanguine - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

I wouldn't be so fastidious person as you will suppose probably. I met recently an ill-defined expression in the following passage of "1984" Part 1. "He moved over to the window: a smallish, trail figure, the meagerness of his body merely emphasized by the blue overalls which were the uniform of the party. His hair was very fair; his face naturally sanguine, his skin roughened by coarse soup and blunt rasor blades and the cold of the winter that had just ended."

I have doubts in the likelihood of the using the expression "his face naturally sanguine". I know some different meanings for "sanguine":cheerfully optimistic" or confident, ruddy faced, ruddy health, enthusiastic, buoyant, spirited. Those are words that do not match with Winston Smith and his country. There is a talking of cross-purposes. I couldn't see the properly using this adjective in perfect harmony with the rest adjectives in this passage: smallish, frail, meager, roughened,blunt, cold. There is an obvious discord.

I wander whether you could tell me your attitude and lend a hand to me to understand properly this passage.

V
    I haven't read the book but I have a problem with the phrase "his face naturally sanguine"

Sanguine comes from the French word "sang" meaning "blood"

So a face that is sanguine has a ruddy look(flushed look) to its complexion.

A naturally sanguine look means that his face was always this way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Naamplao,

Thank you for your swift reaction.

Your answer is very close to my first supposition. Bloody-red, red. That makes two of us. I find this usual and plain meaning very acceptable. This is very close to the Steven King's "The Red".

I must tell the truth: I have a boring disadvantage seeking the stilted and pompous meaning of the words first of all. Zeal without knowledge is a runaway.

If you wish a good advice ask the old man. (or the wise man)

V.
    Last edited by vil; 09-Oct-2007 at 19:36.

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi Naamplao,

Thank you for your swift reaction.

Your answer is very close to my first supposition. Bloody-red, red. That makes two of us. I find this usual and plain meaning very acceptable. This is very close to the Steven King's "The Red".

I must tell the truth: I have a boring disadvantage seeking the stilted and pompous meaning of the words first of all. Zeal without knowledge is a runaway.

If you wish a good advice ask the old man. (or the wise man)

V.
    There is a saying: A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Are you suggesting this applies to you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

No objection. This proverb is my old companion.

What about this one:

To know everything is to know nothing.

or

Two much knowledge makes the head bald.

and in the end

No man is born wise or learned.

V.

Orwell is just stating that the character is ruddy-faced. I do not see a problem with its use here. A person can be thin and yet have a naturally red skin, and the word in itself adds a dimension to the description.

I am not sure what you mean by "likelihood" - it is a fact. Orwell used the word, and being Orwell, he knew what he was doing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Dear Anglika,

I meant no offense. I know who is Orwell. Unfortunately I know the country which he has depicted in so glaring colors by nature, not from his books. I was a pig from his farm.

I think the words have to be unambiguous.

When I use the word "likelihood" I mean "verisimilitude, probability, plausibility.

When we speak about the adjective "ruddy" (your words "ruddy- faced") we
    have to know that there is a contradictory polysemy; on the one hand ruddy = scarlet, pink-cheeked,ruddy health, and on the other hand ruddy = bloody, cursed, bad-tempered, mucky, hoggish. What do you think about the character of Mr. Smith? Is he a man of bad character, or he have a character for honesty? I,m disconcerted. That is beyond my comprehension.

This was my opinion, maybe an erroneous judgment.

I will continue go on with the book which excited my drowsy individuality.

V.