some questions

Hi there,

I just have some questions about the meaning and usage of some words and expressions.

Thanks

-What is the difference between to haggle and to dodge? If someone goes into a shop and tries to handle a lower price for an item, is it called haggle, haggle over or dodge?
    -What is a stroppy person? Is it a British or American word?
    -How do you say "to be suffering from withdrawal symtoms" in slang?
    -What is the difference between beat and win in a sport context? Does beat refer to teams and win to individuals?
    -Is the sentence "A beautiful spell of light was inviting me to go into the house" right? and "the path was full of flowers at the sides"?

Thanks!!!!

Re: some questions

Quote Originally Posted by silviasabater_2000 View Post
    Hi there,

I just have some questions about the meaning and usage of some words and expressions.

Thanks

-What is the difference between to haggle and to dodge? If someone goes into a shop and tries to handle a lower price for an item, is it called haggle, haggle over or dodge? to haggle means to negotiate; to dodge means to avoid. You would haggle over a price.

-What is a stroppy person? Is it a British or American word? Someone who is irritable and short-tempered. British rather than American

-How do you say "to be suffering from withdrawal symtoms" in slang? One phrase is "cold turkey".

-What is the difference between beat and win in a sport context? Does beat refer to teams and win to individuals? If you beat someone [either an individual or a team] in a contest, you overcome them and thereby win the contest.

-Is the sentence "A beautiful spell of light was inviting me to go into the house" right? and "the path was full of flowers at the sides"?

A beautiful ray of light was inviting me into the house

Both sides of the path were deep in flowers

The path led up to the house between two colourful beds of flowers.

Thanks!!!!