• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

correct ?

Dear teachers,

1) Why do we need to know where a word is divided into syllables ? To know whic syllable should be stressed ?

2) in reading comprehension the verb “to scan” mean a) to scrutinize or b) to read superficially and quickly like the verb “to skim” ?

3) Is it possible to say “from whom” instead of “after whom was gloxinia named?” (I found this in a book)

4) a) Is this sentence correct, or is there something missing after “as many as”?
    “17 million people in the US, more than half of all the people who speak a language other than English, speak Spanish. That is ten times as many as speak French.”

b) “that” here refers to “17 million people in the US speak Spanish”?

Many thanks,
    Hela

Re: correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by hela View Post
    Dear teachers,

1) Why do we need to know where a word is divided into syllables ? To know whic syllable should be stressed ? https://www.usingenglish.com/glossary/syllable.html

2) in reading comprehension the verb “to scan” mean a) to scrutinize or b) to read superficially and quickly like the verb “to skim” ? b

3) Is it possible to say “from whom” instead of “after whom was gloxinia named?” (I found this in a book) No - "after whom" is correct. It is a term meaning that you name something in commemoration of or to honour someone.

4) a) Is this sentence correct, or is there something missing after “as many as”?
    “17 million people in the US, more than half of all the people who speak a language other than English, speak Spanish. That is ten times as many as speak French.” [people] is understood. It is not missing but omitted as the context tells you what is correct.

b) “that” here refers to “17 million people in the US speak Spanish”? "That [number]"
    Many thanks,
    Hela

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Thank you Anglika.

So in reading we do not consider "to scan" as to study sthg minutely? But this meaning exists, doesn't it?

All the best,
    Hela

It can mean to examine point by point or systematically; it has the meaning of scanning poetry - ensuring it conforms to metrical patterns.

Generally, though, I think if you scan a piece of text you are more likely to run over it quickly. "I scanned down the report to see if there were any important points I should read."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

Many thanks Anglika

See you soon