Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    more ways of saying; how are you...

    What are the other ways of saying how are you? with saying, how are you?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    "of saying"

    How do you do
    How are you doing [informal]
    How are things going [informal]

  2. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "of saying"

    How do you do
    How are you doing [informal]
    How are things going [informal]
    For sometimes I feel a bit hesitant to ask my students "how are you?" everyday. We are talking only on the phone, so asking them this everyday makes me look like a prompter.... What are the other other ways/ things I could ask them to start our conversations?

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    How was your day?
    How are things goings?
    What's new with you?
    What's up?
    What's going on?

  4. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    How was your day?
    How are things goings?
    What's new with you?
    What's up?
    What's going on?
    Thanks Barb!

    What else do you guys ask aside from how are you, hows your day, whats up.... when starting up a conversation?
    For example: Have you had breakfast? Hows work? Hows the weather?

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    To START a conversation - What's been going on? (That would be silly if you talked to the person recently though.)

  6. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    To START a conversation - What's been going on? (That would be silly if you talked to the person recently though.)
    But Barb, the thing is that I have been talking to these people everyday, saying how are yous, Whats ups, and they seem to be toying with that question now. I am thinking of being innovative in my questions to ask about other things like things about work, family,etc... What could you recommend?

  7. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Well, the thing is, usually our conversation opener of "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, what's up?" aren't real questions seeking knowledge. They are little rituals of politeness.

    Your situation is different - you are specifically looking for them to answer with the detailed response, not the "Doing great, thanks" or "Not much" which are the expected responses to the ritual questions.

    If you talk to them every day, you can maybe say "Good morning Mary. Today I'd like to hear about your family." "Good morning Peter. How has your job been going lately?" "Good afternoon, Susan. What have you children been up to?"

    Or you can make a little game of it - "Good morning Mary. Tell me one thing that made you smile yesterday."

  8. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Well, the thing is, usually our conversation opener of "Hey, how are you?" or "Hey, what's up?" aren't real questions seeking knowledge. They are little rituals of politeness.

    Your situation is different - you are specifically looking for them to answer with the detailed response, not the "Doing great, thanks" or "Not much" which are the expected responses to the ritual questions.

    If you talk to them every day, you can maybe say "Good morning Mary. Today I'd like to hear about your family." "Good morning Peter. How has your job been going lately?" "Good afternoon, Susan. What have you children been up to?"
    Well, I know that How are yous and Whats ups are mere rituals, even in the Philippines we do have such greeting rituals(kumusta? mabuti.)

    But my students answer these questions thinking that I was asking them in detail... And as time goes, they were thinking, I suppose, that I sound like a prompter asking the same questions. So I wanted to be more innovative this time in giving/asking them real questions as what they thought Im doing....


    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Or you can make a little game of it - "Good morning Mary. Tell me one thing that made you smile yesterday."
    I like this one very creative!

  9. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: more ways of saying; how are you...

    Sometimes I ask my kids that as I put them to bed. It's nice to focus on something postive at the end of the day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Better ways to teach pronunciation.
    By elbe in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2007, 05:09
  2. have it both ways etc.
    By peppy_man in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2005, 11:40
  3. eleven ways
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-May-2004, 02:02
  4. eleven ways
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2004, 16:42
  5. Any other ways of replying to requests? thanks, teachers!
    By Helped Wanted in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jan-2004, 19:27

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •